Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Off-Topic Forum > Computer and Technology

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:17 AM
Inactive User

Question Computer question = what's running on WIN XP ?

My mother in law has downloaded -who knows what- on her windows XP system computer

now it takes forever and a day to load up

I have run the usual scans for viruses, trojans and ad ware and cleaned that up - plus deleted temp files, history, recycle bin and ran defrag

Now I need to figure out what all she has that is initially loading

I know you can hit CTL ALT DEL and it will show a list of whats running, but what I need to figure out is - which ones are vital and which ones we can turn off

any suggestions ?

I was going to post this in the computer section, but looks like it would get more views here ...
Old 03-29-2008, 08:26 AM

Things are loaded in 3 places. From 2 places in the registry and from the startup folder in your menu (Start button).

The start folder is easy. Hit START, Programs. Right click on Startup, select Open
then delete evrything you dont want.

The registry gets tricky cause if you screw it up, you screw up windows. But it's not that difficult. Click Start, Run, enter REGEDIT.EXE. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run. Delete the keys you dont need. This is the programs that start up for every one.

While your in your registry, also look at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run. Which is things that start up for the particular user logged on.

To really speed it up further, you can turn off some of the default services you really don't need. Speedup PC Turn Off Unnecessary Services XP

As with all things Windows XP, Google is your freind. there are tons of sites out ther to make it better.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:47 PM

There are many things that can be loaded at start up that won't even show up in the Task manager. Many of these programs hijack required programs. As such, They are hard to find. Then when you do find them, you need to get another copy of the windows program/service.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Inactive User

Guys, go look on the off-topic forum for my "Really Stupid Question". Thanks.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Inactive User

Under the START menu select RUN and in the dialog box type MSCONFIG and enter. Select the start up items tab and review the list and click off all the ones you can't determine from their name what they are. Reboot the machine. This will get rid of most of the things that are loading at startup that you don't want.

Safer than mucking with the registry directly is to down load one of the Registry Clean utilities. They will identify all the things that are loading that you don't need.

As always if you muck it up reboot in safe mode (F8 at the bigging of the boot process) and you are given the choice to restore, slect that and pick a date from the calendar to restore to that is prior to you having gotten it mucked up.