Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Inactive User

Default I need some timing/carb tips

last weekend I went to the strip. I had my initial timing at 11* and a total of 31*. I am going to bump it up now the car is running good. I set it for 36* total and that put's my initial timing at 16*. Is this about right for the initial timing? Seems kind of high. Should I use the vacum advance at the strip or just on the street? Also does someone have a chart that shows holley secondary springs and which ones are lighter and heavier. Also when should the secondaries begin to open? I have a yellow spring in it now- could my secondaries being opening when I bring the motor up to 3,000 on the converter at the line? It feels like it bogs about 30 feet out- not real bad but I can feel it. The car is a 74 rr mild 360.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Inactive User

16 degrees is not that much for idle, should work just fine. Could propably use even more intial. No need for vacuum advance at the strip; there shouldn't be any at WOT. I have not neede vacuum advance even on the street, just a quick and short advance curve. Especially in low CR "stock short block" enignes, you want all the advance in quickly, and could propably live even with a solid total advance, except during starting the engine. In such engine, the advance really makes a difference, the engine will be much more responsive. The spring colours from wild to mild, are white, yellow (two different), purple, plain, brown and black. In my opinion, the yellow spring should work jsut fine, do you have the accelrator pump correctly adjusted? You might try a red acclerator pump cam, and a 35 shooter for some more volume and supply?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Banned

Try and get your timing as high as the starter will allow [still crank motor]
Thats where you initial should be , then find what total timing it likes like say 32-34 or what ever, thats where your full advance should be.
Now trick is to set it up this way for curve. try taking heavy spring off & running only the lighter one for the track it should advance half way through it's cycle at idle ending up at 18*-32*.
Try the tall yellow spring or purple .
Old 05-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Inactive User

Timing sounds ok, although the I would check the rpm at which it is fully advanced and adjust if needed.
You don't need to unhook the vacuum advance for the strip, at WOT it doesn't do anything anyway.
I'd start with the standard carb spring and work from there. The bog may mean its opening too fast.