Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-09-2000, 05:11 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Question

I had asked some ? earlier about MT Indy Profile S/S tires, but let me go another way. What are the best street tires (full tread and tubeless) for traction on the street and at the strip? Radial or bias ply OK, tread life not very important.
Old 02-09-2000, 09:34 PM

Best tires I've found so far for street/strip are the M&H street and strip tires. They hook pretty good on my Coronet R/T and my 71 440-6 Cuda. They are pretty soft compound tires, so don't expect a lot of tread life if you plan on putting a lot of street miles on them. A friend of mine tried the BFG Drag radials on his 69 440-6 Road Runner, and they don't hook worth a damn no matter what we tried.
Old 02-09-2000, 11:21 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

(Modified copy of an old post of mine - again)

Being a street car racer (along with my Dad and brother), we have tried and investigated many street racing tires and this is what I've found:

Most bang for the buck:
McCreary Road Star 60's stock car tires that are DOT approved. These cost about $70 to $105 new (depending on size), are street legal, and have a compound very similiar to drag tires. I've run in the low 13's with these tires with 60 foots in the 1.70's, but I have a neighbor with a Shovelle with a 496 on nitrous that ran 9.90's with these tires (I didn't say he wasn't all over the place though). Pros: Cheap, most have low profiles, can be run tubeless, have added a lot of sizes recently. Cons: Can wear out kind of fast if you like big hairy burnouts. You can order them at www.butlerstire.com where I bought mine...

Medium Quality/Medium Price:
Mickey Thompson Sportman S/S or "I" series (same compound - different tread). These are great looking street tires in many sizes that have a "pseudo" racing compound. You should expect to run mid 12's and higher, but may lose consistancy due to the burnout being all important. My Dad runs these in his Duster at about 13.2 to 13.5 in the 1/4. Pros: GREAT looking tires, many sizes, reasonably long life. Cons: Sporatic traction, tread holds water from burnout.
Note: MT has a new racing tire out that I dont know much about, other than it was supposed to compete against M&H and Hoosier's top of the line stuff (check their website).

Questionable Traction/High Price
BF goodrich Drag radials are kind of a high end racing tire. Unfortunately they are priced kind of high, too. Many sizes available and they ride and handle well in an all around radial car. I've talked to a guy with a 12.20 Challenger with these tires, and he said they hooked terrible. Pros: Hey, they're radials! Many sizes, too. Cons: Expensive, and the dealer recommends driving around the burnout box and not going in the water (and WHAT track is this? Water is usually everywhere wherever I go) and ANY water in the tread causes you to lose traction bigtime.

High traction/High price:
Hoosier quick time offers one of the top end street racing tires. Many sizes available and the plain tread pattern doesn't hold water like some of the above ones do. I know the least about these, but there are cars running in the 8's (or less) with these tires. Pros: Great traction, Cons: Higher Price, will wear out fast daily driving.

Best traction/Higher Price:
M&H Racemasters DOT legal street tires are the tires used in virtually all "Street Tire" drag cars. These cars run with ET's in the 7's (or below)!! Prices start at around $140 per tire and up. Pros: Can you say World Record? Cons: virtually no tread pattern, will wear out fast, higher price.

Based upon this you should be able to pick out a tire that will work for you. For the low end I would recommend the McCreary's or the MT's and for the high end I would recommend the M&H's or Hoosier's. Did I mention that only the M/T's and BF Goodrich's are the only ones to make a tire for 14 inch rims?

------------------
'73 Dart Sport
318 CU, 12.5:1, "J" Heads, 517L/292D Camshaft
727 trans, 4500 Tci Converter back to 4.30 gears for a best of 12.87@105

[This message has been edited by The Dartman (edited February 09, 2000).]
Old 02-10-2000, 06:18 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

I agree with the dartman's take on this.I would try the Mccreary's first cause thier dirt cheap.I've run M&H racemasters and they hook like a slick-but the one time I had to drive home in the rain,the car handled like a drunken 12 year old was driving.I switched to the Mccrearys and they hook good and have the street manners in bad weather too.Racemasters can also be had in 14" rim size too.

[This message has been edited by T748 (edited February 10, 2000).]
Old 02-10-2000, 08:38 AM
Inactive User

I think that if you run in the low 12 seconde level you can use any of the better tires, McCrearys, Hoosier quick times, M&H's ar M/T ET Streets. The McCrearys are the least expensive and therefore may be the best solution for a low 12 second car. I have no personal experience about the McCrearys, they are not available here. I have used all the others; Hoosier quick time has a 'real' thread, so they somewhat stand rainy weather too. The compound is about the softest of them all and they wear out pretty quick. Because of the coarse thread, they also tend to carry water to the line; never do the burnout in the water with these tires or you'll have water all over in your undercarriage. The Hoosiers are pretty driveable, theyve got soft sidewalls but they handle decently with proper pressure. The M&H's are more race oriented, they do not have much thread to talk about and therefore are no rain tires. They do have better traction at the track than the McCrearys or Hoosier quick times. They have soft sidewalls and do not handle well in the street. They last a little longer than the Hoosiers but the difference is not big. The M/T ET Streets on my opinion are the best. Like the M&H's they are not rainday tires; not much thread. The M/T's are heavier than the others, and have much stiffer side walls, about 2/3 of the sidewall is stiff. They seem to have the longest life of the three I have played with and the driveability about as good as with the Hoosiers. The Traction is the best of those three. These are my personal feelings, some years ago popular hot rodding performed a test using the DOT tires that were available at the time. The test car was a low 11 sec 454 comaro; they thought the Hoosier was the best tire for that car, then was the two different compound M&H's and after them the McCrearys. With all these four tires the ET's were within 0.2 seconds, all the others tested were clearly worse than these.
Old 02-12-2000, 01:33 AM
CrAzYMoPaRGuY !!

For a drivable, streetable (smallish) tire I used to run P295/50/15 Dunlop GT Qualifiers. Run these things at 30 lbs and, with a decent chassis, they HOOK.
For big (BIG) tires I like Pro-Tracs. REAL street tread, lots of hook, drive in the rain, etc.. They come in several sizes, from 12" tread up to 19" of tread. These are STREET tires that hook. They aren't anywhere near as good as ET Streets or M&H's or Hoosiers etc.. in terms of drag race hooking, but they last a LONG time and don't spin for a country mile like MT Sportsmans.
I guess it depends on usage - STREET or STRIP.
The big name tires mentioned require TUBES - something you said you didn't want. Good Luck!