Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Inactive User

Default Sanity check 2005 Mag R/T tranny

Not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes, I am looking to get my 30K tranny service done on the wife 05 Magnum R/T, 2wd. Just a quick sanity check, does this tranny have a filter, and do the bands need to be checked/adjusted at 60K. This is stated in the service manual but the guy at the quickie lube shop sounded like I was the crazy one for wanting the filter changed, and the local Mopar service reps blow badley. Anybody here every cracked on of these open on a sevice, is this tranny the same old same old, if so I will change the fluid myself and have the bands adjusted later (no current shift problems). Next and last question is what type of fluild should I use? John K, I know you have some info on this one, help a brother out!!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:08 PM

First, I would never trust a quickie lube shop to do tranny work on any of my vehicles.

Most shops would rather just flush the system. Flushing the system will replace more of the dirty fluid with clean fluid; however, any crap (shouldn't be much) that is in the filter will be flushed into the valve body.

A good mechanic will drain the fluid, drop the pan, tight/adjust the bands (as required), replace the filter, put it all back together, and fill it up with new fluid.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Inactive User

I agree, they mentioned the flush. I hit them with dropping the pan to replace the filter and they were speachless. I am at 50K and the bands don't require adjustment to 60k so I am going to just do the fluild myself. I found a factory service manual online for a Hemi Chrysler 300 tranny, is this the same tranny? I would imagine yes, but please correct if I am wrong.

Here is the link to the FSMs.

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/New%20HEMI%...ks%20page.html
Old 06-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Inactive User

Default Imho

The best tranny life extender is synthetic fluid. Mopar plus four is 25% synthetic, and a better choice than any straight crude product.
Yes, definitely change the filter. Any shop which says "no" or acts incredulous, is a shop to stay away from.
Ed's right, quickie lubes should be avoided at all cost.
Flushing is a very good practise; it gets some of the flotsam and jetsam out of the converter, cooler and lines.
I'd adjust the bands now, only 10 grand from required, so why wait? Get a service manual to show exactly how it's done.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Inactive User

Thanks fellas I knocked it out today with no issues. I had a crappy jack so I couldn't get the car up in the air high enough to get under and do the band adjustment. I will take it to work someday and put it on the lift and make life easier. I went with the A+4 and it seemed to really help the smoothness, although until now there hasn't been any issues and the car has been rock solid. The filter change was cake, more so than the older Mopars I am used to doing battle with. For future reference the tranny on the 2wd 5.7 hemmi Magnums is a NAG1 (fitting for the wifes car, ha ha) and it takes 5 lites after a service. Thanks again.