Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Inactive User

Default a-body driveshaft measurments for a 5 speed

I am currently installing a TKO-600 in my 70 dodge dart 340. In order to get the process rolling along a little faster, i was wondering if any one else has done this and what your driveshaft measurments were? I am curious because Keilser will not send the driveshaft untill i give them these measurments. I would think that any 67-7X a-body would have the same driveshaft measurment and that an engineering company would have this number on hand. So if any one has this measurment please tell me so that I can put everything together without stopping and waiting for parts.... again.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Inactive User

Default Kaisler

Cannot build your shaft without the dimensions. The reason is, the pinion angle and output shaft yoke are unique to your application. Your axle may be different, your pinion angle will effect the length. First, you need to select the output shaft yoke you intend to use. Slide it in to the splines until it bottoms. Now move it back out exactly one inch.
With the car on the ground, put an inclinometer on the differential, on the flat where the pinion snubber mounts. The angle of the diff should read 6-10 degrees down. If it needs correcting, install axle shims between the axle housing and springs (Available from auto parts stores).
Now, you measure between the diff yoke U joint center and the output shaft yoke U joint center. That is your correct drive shaft length.
When you order the shaft, you must also tell them the dimension between the U joint flanges, (Where the U joint bearings bolt in) too.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Inactive User

I just installed a tko 500 in my dart and the measurement needed to be 54 1/4 inch but the shaft was 51 1/4 inch. Also my tranny sat back about an inch futher than it should have because of the lakewoood bell housing and motor mounts. I would install the tranny first and measure to be safe if i where you.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Inactive User

I hope every thing goes smooth for you. When I installed my tko 500 murphys law ruled. Be shure if you are using the hydraulic throwout bearing to measure the clearance between the clutch fingers and bell housing. Mine was out of spec and I had to order a 1/4 spacer from keslier (free of charge). Also like I said, my tranny sets back an inch more than it should, so I had to cut and weld in support to the top of the cross member. That also caused the electronic speedo hookup to hit the crossmember. So I had to remove it and make a blockoff plate. I also had to slot the trans mount holes so the thing would bolt up. Anyway, if you have any questions ask, I may know and dont expect to do the swap in one weekend.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:55 AM
Inactive User

I have a T5 in my valiant with a lakewood bell, it to is a tight fit with the electric speedo and trans mount, but I was able to use the stock trans mount, just had to drill one hole for the bolt in the rubber to go through, had to notch a little too, but not bad.
Every car is a bit different, and some have different wheelbases for diff models, and like my car, I moved the rear wheels back an inch to clear the odd sized fender openings, so they dont really know what is out there, so it is Im sure a safer bet to have a driveshaft made after you have it in, than to make 100 of one that may never be used, and end up getting custom driveshafts made anyways.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Inactive User

thanks for the replies guys! And you are right, i should waite and take the actual measurements. Just getting a little antsy. Was hoping to have it driveing by the 4th, but i don't think that is going to happen.