Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-23-2001, 07:48 PM
Racing Member

Question

My 99 durango is having a hard time starting on cold mourning and my ram is not. It take it about 10 sec to turn over and run. Once it is warm no problems. Any Ideas?

------------------
99 Ram Sport, Reg Cab, 3.92 Posi, Powerdyne 7.5psi, MSD 6AL BTM, MSD Blaster SS Coil, MSD Plug Wires, 24lb Injectors, MPP Cam, MPP Valve Springs & Lifters, Edelbrock Headers, Flowmaster Cat-back, 285-60-16 BFG, and 2/4 Belltech Drop.
Old 01-24-2001, 01:15 AM

Battery??
I'd start by taking your battery from your Ram and see if that cures it. Durango's have been known to have problems with their batteries. Mine only lasted 2.5yrs and 24K miles. At one time on the www.durangoclub.com forum the Dead battery club got real popular. Didn't matter if it was 3yrs old or 3 weeks.
Old 01-24-2001, 04:59 AM
Hillbilly Engineer ;^)

Question

Does the engine turn over sluggishly or does it turn over normally and take 10 seconds to light off?

If it is sluggish; i.e. cranks slowly, then it is either the battery or the starter, with the most likely culprit the battery. Doing the battery switch would confirm that.

Today's batteries absolutely suck! You're lucky to get 3 years out of one. Also, they now usually don't give any warning before they die. Since the mid 80's every battery I've had has died on the spot where I stopped the vehicle! I had to have new batteries installed in my truck (18 months old!) and my wife's Sebring (2 years old) before the warranty expired. They both failed without warning.

If the vehicle is less than 3 years old and has less than 36k miles on it, believe it or not, the batteries are COVERED under the "bumper to bumper" warranty.

Now, if the engine is turning over fine and it is taking some time to light off, that could be fuel or ignition related...or PCM related since it conrols both of them!

Hope this helps.

------------------
1997 Dakota SLT+ Club Cab; Brilliant Blue Pearlcoat; 5.2L V-8; 4-spd Automatic (42RE);Hughes Stage 1 Throttle Body;Stant 180 degree Superstat; custom flashed Mopar computer; Mopar Headers, Flowmaster catback with dual outlets; K&N round 14" FIPK; MSD 6A, MSD Blaster 3 coil; MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires; Autolite 3923 plugs; Accel brass distributor cap; Accel HD rotor;Trans-Go Shift Kit; 4.10 "sure-grip" posi-traction rear end; Lakewood chrome traction bars; Mopar Magnum Valve Covers; re-located IAT sensor (inside 14" K&N FIPK).
Old 01-26-2001, 03:04 AM
Racing Member

I just replaced the battery with a mopar factory replacement about 5 mths ago in late aug.

------------------
99 Ram Sport, Reg Cab, 3.92 Posi, Powerdyne 7.5psi, MSD 6AL BTM, MSD Blaster SS Coil, MSD Plug Wires, 24lb Injectors, MPP Cam, MPP Valve Springs & Lifters, Edelbrock Headers, Flowmaster Cat-back, 285-60-16 BFG, and 2/4 Belltech Drop.
Old 01-26-2001, 03:08 AM
Racing Member

It fires off real easy after it warms up in the mourning. That what makes me wonder about something else. I ll get my bat tester out and check it just to be sure. Sorry Ive got the kids tonight. Got my hands full.