Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:12 AM
Inactive User

Default purple shaft

hi, Ive got a problem with a cam I baught from a friend.It did not come in its orig. box,I was told it was a .590/.312 mechanical flat tappet purple shaft. I thought that to be just great to stik in my a-body strip terror.The problem Im having is I just cant get confirmation of the cam. Mancini says that the #s on the end make no diff. you have to go by the color thats been streaked on it.Which is rite next to the #s the color is orange the #s are 950695 Ive takin it to 2 machinests who stuck calipers on it and one said .571 the other said .574 that doesnt even jive with the three that are listed .528,.557 and of course .590. I do know that exact advertisement wont jive with any cam but wouldnt' it be closer than whats listed? does anybody have any ideas? Id' like to degree it in and get back to finishing my shortblock. Any help is most appreciated.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Inactive User

Install it in the engine without the timing chain on so you can turn it easy by hand. Put one lifter in one hole and place a dial indicator on top of the lifter making sure it is in line with the lifter. Turn the cam untill the lifter is at the lowerst point and zero out the dial. Slowly turn the cam and watch the dial untill the cam is at the highest point. This will tell you your total cam lift, multiply that number by 1.5 (because stock rockers are 1.5 ratio) to get the advertized valve lift. I have done this a few times and it is hard to get it dead on say .528 or something but it will be easy to see it is like .530 then just match it to the closest Mopar cam. That is if you know for sure it is a Mopar cam. The one in my 440 I was told it was a .509 hydraulic, but after checking it 3 times and coming up with almost .530 each time I determined it was a .528 mechanical cam. So I ran it with some roller rockers and that cam kicks ass in my 440.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Welcome aboard ! quality control is out of mopars hands since they do not grind the cam themselfs, but the lowest bidder does these days.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Inactive User

thanks guys Ill ' do it. I do know its a 3-bolt cam p. shaft. Profile is kinda whats in question here. Just want to gittr done! Ive missed most of all the cruzs' and shines for about a decade now.This car is my passed away friends car that had mopar mad scientist plans himself.It is really past time to finish. Thanx again
Old 09-22-2008, 11:33 PM
Inactive User

mopar did make solid lifter cams with .571 lift...they were oval racing cams...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-2...spagenameZWDVW
Old 09-23-2008, 12:39 AM
Inactive User

Mike the cam lobe to get the cam lift and multiply by 1.5 to get the lift rating at the valve. First check the highest point then go 90 degrees either way and subtract the low number from the high one, Paul.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Precht View Post
Mike the cam lobe to get the cam lift and multiply by 1.5 to get the lift rating at the valve. First check the highest point then go 90 degrees either way and subtract the low number from the high one, Paul.
That way will not work because the lift will start before the 90 degree mark and end after the 90 degree mark. If that were the case you would only have a 180 degree duration. You have to do it by rotating the cam and finding the lowest point, zero the gauge, find the highest point and that is your cam lift. Multiply it by 1.5 to get valve lift. If you have a degree wheel you can also check duration but if you get the lift and check it against the Mopar cams you will get the duration.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:30 PM
Inactive User

It works fine, maybe I didn't explain it completely. It's easier to show someone than explain it. Just for fun I just grabbed an Isky NHRA stocker cam for the 440 Six Pak off the shelf. This cam has lobes that look like a large roller. It's intake lift is stamped on the cam as 468. I first miked the high point and came up with 1.584 then miked the base circle and came up with 1.274. After subtraction I have 310 which when multiplied times 1.5 comes out to 465. That is close enough to determine one cam from another, Paul.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Inactive User

ok that sounds pretty easy, I just got the cam in, it was pretty tite! But i managed to rotate and liteley tap with the palm of my hand. I dont have my rear soft plug in yet.I cant quit figure out how to get my dial indocater in the valley and retain a good solid rest.Ill try to use a big magnet or something to retain the dial ind. Im kinda hoping this is the .590/.312 cuz I already have the springs and retainers on my warmed over heads.Any way Ill' try and hit it tomorow, I just got told (supper is getin cold and were not waiten any longer) you guys know how it is? Thanks you guys. Ill keep ya posted
Old 10-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Inactive User

Well IVe' decided to bag the purple shaft and run a voodo cam or a racer brown. Sorry it took so long to get back about it.Ive just been contemplating it and I think Ill' run a duall pattern solid. Thanx for everybodys help on the issue.