Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Inactive User

Default Has anyone used a tublar K member for a mopar

I am looking into getting one for my 69 Charger... I see they are expensive but they seem worth it.. Like 200lbs off the front end... I like that.. If anyone has any expierence or info on these I would like to hear.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:37 AM
Inactive User

I have used one in an A-body. The most weight loss can be had by leaving the K-member completely out, necessarily the handling isn't much worse that way than with some of the light weight tubular front ends. The factory K-member weighs perhaps some 70 lbs, the torsion bars maybe some 50 lbs, the control arms, spindles etc aren't that heavy either. The factory steering and suspension geometries work, the aftermarket front ends necessarily not. If the seller can't show you tables of ackerman steering, toe in, camber nad cater changes throughout the suspension travel, I would forget it. One of the heavy items in the stock front end is brakes, I think that's the biggest saving in these aftermarket front ends. Like I said in the beginning, I have used one, an AlterKtion front end. It's one of the best around, designed correctly and rigid enough for street use. However, paying 3-4000 for the front end in my opinion is not very sensible. I've got much better use for the money elsewhere, with way better performance feedback.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:09 AM
Inactive User

I looked into it for my Cuda, and determined it would not be a good idea, for many of the suspension items mentioned above. To lighten my Cuda, I went with Wilwood front disc brakes. Takes 20 pounds of rotating weight off each front wheel. I also went with a figerglass hood, and the following aluminum parts: radiator, heads, intake, and water pump. Also Mopar lightweight brake master cylinder, and dump the heavy power steering gear. Also, for $4000, you can buy a lot of go fast goodies, that will make up for any weight.