Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Off-Topic Forum > Diecast and Model Car Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:49 AM
Banned

Biggrin Just for bjoehandley

Check out this guys site.

http://homepage.mac.com/ssven5/Sites...lcarindex.html

How do you like this Concord concept?

http://homepage.mac.com/ssven5/Sites...etty1page.html
Old 10-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Banned

Biggrin

I have a Sunbeam Tiger that I was thinking about making into a race car. I've been doing some models of cars in movies and tv too. I just lucked across this today. I think I know how I want to finish up the Sunbeam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvMj5...eature=related
Old 10-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Inactive User

I've seen alot of the cars Sven has built over the years at either Scale Auto's or Model Car's forums, he does a fantastic job, thought his use of a spark plug tip for a tail pipe on that orange Integra Type R was pretty clever too! IIRC AMT used to make a Sunbeam Tiger kit back in the day too, I think there may have been some suggestion that RC2 should have tried to try a get licensing deal with the production company from the recent "Get Smart" movie. Now that ERTL, AMT, MPC, and Johnny Lightening kits and diecasts are being produced by Auto World (run by the guy who used to own Playing Mantis, talk about full circle in some respects), there's a possibility that could make a comeback!
Old 10-27-2008, 02:20 AM
Banned

Biggrin

I don't remember who made this Tiger. I'll have to get it out and find the name on the box. I know it's a plain white box with no pics on it and it says blue printers on it.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Inactive User

That's the AMT kit I mentioned, IIRC the one you have was offered to subscribers of AMT/ERTL's Blueprinter magazine back in the mid 90's.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Your right, I just got through looking at it. All finished with it other than detailing and painting the body. I did the interior in black and it looks great. I had planned on building it as a road race car and just had not picked a color. British green seemed all wrong for it and I just had not researched it enough to pic a color. I bet it was a pretty bad ass car for it's time. Light weight and with a big ford engine in it, it should move right on down the road. Bet it's a little nose heavy though.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Inactive User

Wasn't that just the 290ci motor in that car?
Old 10-29-2008, 03:15 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Prototype had a 260, the production version had a 289. Here's some info I pulled off the net.

Sunbeam Tiger Sunbeam Tiger
Manufacturer Rootes Group
Production 1964-1967
7,085 built
Body style(s) sports car
Engine(s) 4261 cc V-8 (Ford)
Transmission(s) 4 speed manual
Wheelbase 86 in (2184 mm) [1]
Length 158 in (4013 mm)
Width 60.5 in (1537 mm)
Height 51.5 in (1308 mm)
Curb weight 2,646 lb (1,200 kg)
Fuel capacity 11.75 imp gal (53 L/14 US gal)
Related Sunbeam Alpine
For the 1920s racing and speed record car, see Sunbeam Tiger (1925).

The Sunbeam Tiger was a muscle car version of the British Rootes Group's Sunbeam Alpine roadster.

The West Coast Sales Manager of Rootes American Motors Inc., Ian Garrad, realised that the Alpine's image was that of a touring car rather than a sports car, and he set about changing its image, using the recent success of the Shelby Cobra as a guide. He and Rootes' Western Service Manager Walter McKenzie measured up several V-8 engines and determined that Ford's new 164 hp (122 kW) 260 cu in (4.3 L) Windsor V8 engine would fit nicely between the frame rails.

Sunbeam asked Carroll Shelby to produce one functional prototype on a budget of US$10,000. Shelby's prototype was fabricated by Shelby employee George Boskoff, and the result was judged to be good enough to send to England for production evaluation.

Seeking reassurance everything would fit, a second Series 2 Alpine was handed to Ken Miles. Ken Miles (a talented racer and fabricator in his own right) had just been employed by Shelby American. Using his own shop facilities, he managed to install a 260 cu.in. V8 and two-speed automatic into the Alpine in less than a week, at a total cost of US$600. Having served its feasibility study purpose, Ken Miles' prototype was kept by Rootes Motors Inc. Los Angeles for some time then eventually sold to a private buyer.

Production

After doing extensive engineering studies Rootes Group subcontracted development and pre-production testing to Jensen, located in West Bromwich, England. Jensen went on to manufacture the Sunbeam Tiger. Production reached 7,085 cars over three distinct series (the factory only ever designated two, the Mark 1 and Mark 2; however, since the official Mark 1 production spanned the changeover in body style from the Series IV Alpine panels to the Series V panels, the later cars are generally designated Mark 1A by current Sunbeam Tiger enthusiasts). Mark 2 production totalled just 536 cars, and these Tigers, with the 200 hp (150 kW) 289 cu in (4.7 L) engine, are rare today. Amazingly, both the Miles and the Shelby prototypes survive today, along with a number of other historically significant Tigers.

Demise

Production of the Tiger only lasted from 1964 until Chrysler purchased Rootes in June 1967. Chrysler could not be realistically expected to sell a car with a Ford engine, but had no suitable engine of its own with which to replace it: Chrysler V8 engines all had the distributor positioned at the rear of the engine, unlike the front-mounted distributor of the Ford V8, making it impossible to fit the Chrysler engine into the Sunbeam engine bay without major, and expensive, revisions. Thus the Tiger was cancelled.

Film / TV

Don Adams drove a red Tiger convertible in the early "Get Smart" television show. This car was also used in the 2008 movie remake of Get Smart, starring Steve Carrell.