Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Inactive User

Default harmonic balancer

I'm in the process of tearing apart my 360 and going to a 408 stroker. Planning on 400 or so hp and wondering if I need an aftermarket harmonic balancer? The stock one seems to be in great shape and I really dont want to have to buy a new one. I checked on summit and they range up to $450 or so. What is necessary for my application? When is a stock balancer no longer sufficient?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:47 AM
Inactive User

well..the stock 360 balancer is for an externally balanced engine...is your 408 going to be externally or internally balanced?...

if your 408 has a forged crank...then you will need a new balancer...
if your 408 has a cast crank and is going to be externally balanced you might be able to reuse it...

When is a stock balancer no longer sufficient?... most drag racing orginizations require sfi balancer at 10.99... probably does not answer your question but...
Old 11-04-2008, 05:00 AM
Inactive User

Cool I suspect...............

If your building a stroker motor, you should take all the parts to the machinest and have it balanced. They are the one's to tell you if you need a different balancer. Any engine that is changed from it's factory set-up should re-balanced. Otherwise, it can shake itself apart.
Or you could ask the people that make your crank.

Just thinking out loud.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Inactive User

Got it, if it'll be internally balanced then I'll order a new balancer. But I'm assuming I dont need anything fancy, something along the lines of this http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku?

On a similar note, I've been reading that the cast stroker cranks may be too light to internally balance and I may need to externally balance them. Is there a disadvatage to this. I'm assuming the engine will not run as smoothly?

Also IF I do need to externally balance it, will I still need a different balancer?
Old 11-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Inactive User

Internally balancing a cast crank, when you add in the price of mallory metal will probably cost more than using a steel crankshaft. Not really worth the investment!!! If you are not intending to race this engine on a continuous basis and If your balancer looks mint (no chips or cracks or dents from pry bars), including the rubber joint, I would use it until you get to 10.99 or faster! Then again for $79.99 a new one won't hurt. (if it's not made in CHINA!!!!)