Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Inactive User

Default 727 TransGo Tf-2 questions

hey everyone i reading about the TransGo TF-2 shift kit and there are some things that i would like to get cleared up.
1.what exactly does it do, do you use you like column shifter to go through gears (like 1st,2nd,drive)?
2. if question one is true do you have to always shift through like that every time you drive or can you just put it in D and drive like it was normally.
3. also how hard would it be to install/ does anyone have pictures of them installing it?

and im sure ill have more questions later....
sorry for such noob questions

thanks a lot
-mike
Old 11-05-2008, 05:30 PM

Welcome to the board.

The TF-2 is a reprogramming kit that improves shifting by eliminating the majority of slippage and overlap. The trans still retains its fully automatic shifting.

The kit isn't difficult to install but the current instructions aren't as complete as they used to be. Board members can help with any questions about the kit installation.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Inactive User

does the tranny need to be droped to do it?
Old 11-06-2008, 12:53 AM

I believe its all in the valve body. You need to remove it, split it, take a few check balls out, maybe drill out a hole in the seperator plate and change the spool valve. Takes about 2 hours, drippy work.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:23 AM
Inactive User

As mentioned, it is a shift improver kit and fairly easy to install. Most of the work is on the valve body, but the rear servo may also need to be removed too. This can be done fairly easely in the car also. It is just sort of a messy job because of the tranny fluid. A trans pan with a drain plug makes it a little easier.
The kit comes with a new pressure regulator spring to increase the line pressure, a new manual valve, I think some shift timming springs, drill bits to modify the seperator plate, and other parts. I haven't done one of these kits in several years, but they used to have very good instructions with the kits.

The B&M transpack kit (costs about the same) is almost the same, but the instructions are not as good.

Both kits use a drill to remove a passage wall in the valve body too, and I think they still instruct you to drill a small hole through the valve body, I think for the cooler/converter charge circuit. This works, but sonnax makes a cool regulator valve with a one-way check ball so drilling the hole is not required, and the check ball is supposed to keep the converter fron draining back? Only drawback is the valve is for 1978 and newer valve bodys and the valve costs about $40?
Old 11-07-2008, 06:49 PM

Nothing in the valve body will prevent the converter from draining back but there are modified manual valves that will allow the converter to refill rapidly in Park, this valve is included in the TransGo kit but not ther B&M; one reason why the TransGo kit is the best bang for the buck.

Makco has the best price:

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...ode=A727vbkits
Old 11-09-2008, 03:43 AM
Inactive User

hey John Kunkel is the first one in that link you suggested the same thing as the TF-2 one on the transgo website?
Old 11-09-2008, 06:20 PM

Yes, the Makco number T22171 is the TF-2.