Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Inactive User

Default New 63 Dart! Lots of questions!

Hey all my oldest just picked up a decent 63 Dart 2 dr with a slant down in the lone star state where he is stationed. I have 74 360/727 combo looking for a home. I think a pro stock look would look good so a warmed up street config is in order. I have never owned an A body this old, what is it going to take to lose the slant and stick and put the 360/auto in place and a good rear susspension set up? What are some good donner vehicles for a rear? Also what is a good place for a fiberglass hood and such? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-12-2008, 02:24 AM
Inactive User

I have always been keen on the early A-bodies. '63-'66 A-bodies are considered early, or/and narrow A-bodies.

They were first available only with /6, but in '64 the 273 LA engine became available. V8 and /6 models used the same K-members, and the engine mounts are available from Schumacher. http://www.engine-swaps.com/ .

The trans tunnel was never intended for a 727, it's a very good idea to make additional room to the tunnel. The '63 model wasn't available with a V8, and its wiper motor interferes with the SB distributor, so you have to replace it with a newer unit.

Exhaust is another concern, the front frame rails are about 1.5" closer to each other than in the '67 & up A-bodies, so there is less room for the exhaust and the headers available tend to be rpetty expensive. They are available however, Doug's D450 are "original D-Dart headers", TTI has also got an under chassis model http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Headers-EarlyA/TTI636A.htm , Hooker 5208's are partial fenderwells with the collectors under the car, makes building exhaust easier, and Hedman still offers fenderwell headers for the early small block darts & valiants.

Except for the centerlink, the suspension and brake parts are similar to those of the '67 & up models, and tricks & conversions that work with them also work with the early cars. There are two different centerlinks for the early cars, a /6 model and a V8 model. The V8 centerlink is dropped more at the center than the /6 model, but you can use also the /6 centerlink with the V8 engine.

Rear axle widths, rear springs and attaching points are the same as in the '67 & up models, so everything meant for the newer A-bodies also work in the early models. The body is a little narrower than in the newer cars and the wheelwells too, so in stock configuration you really can't put a lot of tire under these cars stock, and it's a good idea to stick with the original width or narrower rear axle. Although when I purchased my old '66 it had a late 60's B-body 8 3/4" offset hangers for the springs and with the wheel openings opened up accepted 275/60/15 tires.

About the body parts, I really don't know what's available over there, but '63 and '64 darts have the same basic front end sheetmetal, '65 and '66 are both different. You can change for example a whole '65 or '66 front end to a '63 and vice versa if that's easier. Or even a '63-'66 valiant front end fits.

Here is some photos and story of my old '66 http://www.moparts.org/moparts/carsh...er2/jyrki.html
Old 11-12-2008, 02:26 AM
Inactive User

You could look up a V8 K frame or just get the conversion mounts from Schumacher Creative Services:

www.engine-swaps.com/

hey dart, you beat me to it...lol
Old 11-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Inactive User

All great info, Shumacher sounds like the way to go for ease of application. How much does the tranny tunnel need to be opened up? I have warmed up to these older darts over the years, I have always been a fan of the early 70's. I am sure htis car is manual brakes and steering which I plan on keeping for more HP. Disc brakes are a must but manual discs should work good with a good valve. Sheet metal for these cars is scarace on the net, does anybody know where to find some fiberglass replacement parts?
Old 11-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Inactive User

You don't have to open the trans tunnel necessarily, flattening the body seam above the bellhousing area may be all you need. But it will be pretty tight over there, I have always made my life easier be enlargening it some. definitely go with disc brakes in front, perhaps the easiest and best way would be finding discs, spindles & calibers out of some F, M or whichever newer RWD car, and purchase new A-body tubular upper control arms with the '73 & up bigger ball joints. That way you can propably also have enough adjustment for proper alignment job, and the parts needed should be easy to find.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Inactive User

I plan on going with a 8 1/4 rear due to the weight of the car and being planned under 500 hp. Is there any direct fit drive shafts out there for this fit?
Old 11-14-2008, 12:38 AM
Inactive User

Hey guys speaking of this kind of stuff, I have a 67 2dr Dart with a slant 6 in it..How big of a pain in the neck is it to put a B or RB in a Dart? I mud race, but my father-in-law wants to get me into Drag Racing. I have a lot of BB parts, not so much experience with LA's and don't have any, and I am just a BB type of person..... If custom fabricating is required, that's not a problem, afterall I put a 440 in a D50, I was just wondering about headers, steering, K-members, and other potential problems... Thanks
Old 11-14-2008, 01:58 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampage_82 View Post
Hey guys speaking of this kind of stuff, I have a 67 2dr Dart with a slant 6 in it..How big of a pain in the neck is it to put a B or RB in a Dart? I mud race, but my father-in-law wants to get me into Drag Racing. I have a lot of BB parts, not so much experience with LA's and don't have any, and I am just a BB type of person..... If custom fabricating is required, that's not a problem, afterall I put a 440 in a D50, I was just wondering about headers, steering, K-members, and other potential problems... Thanks
I think Schumacher has mounts for the 440 also. But , I know of no better place to get info for this kind of swap than here: www.bigblockdart.com/

They got you covered on every aspect and have many members that have done and are doing the same thing as you want to do!