Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-07-2000, 09:47 PM
Inactive User

Cool

OK fellas, I am new to the MOPAR thing. Where do I get the most bang for my buck in performance upgrades on this already BOSS truck. It looks great and runs good. Only problem is I want it to run like a scalded
#@# dog. You know what I mean. I have owned "Chevys" my whole life and am wondering what took me so long to see the light, but, I need some helping setting this little bad boy up. I have seen some of the stuff you guys talk about so I know Im in the right crowd.
Old 08-08-2000, 01:30 AM

Thumbs up

Welcome to the wonderful world of MOPAR! I think the first thing most of us has done is the exhaust. Let that baby scream!

------------------
94 Dakota Sport 5.2L, 3.90 auburn LSD, K+N X-stream filtercharger, MSD 6A, Blaster Coil II, Taylor wires, MP Computer, Pacesettter headers, Dynomax supercat, Flowmaster 50, Crower 1.7 rockers, Lakewood traction bars, Transgo shift kit, MP valve covers, Firestone Firehawks SS20
Old 08-08-2000, 03:23 AM
Inactive User

Sorry, I forgot to mention, that I am running headers thru a Magnaflow to 2 excellent looking stainless tips
Old 08-08-2000, 03:32 AM
Inactive User

Next up would have to be a cold air intake set-up with possibly a throttle body upgrade.
Old 08-08-2000, 02:04 PM
Inactive User

you guys can tell that i am new at this, i thought that i posted all the data about my truck, kind of as a wish i had known about you before i started buying stuff kinda thing. What I have is a 5.9L with the extras
JBA headers, magna flow exhaust, k&n filter from Air Raid, a throttle bottle spacer from PowerAid, and a JET performnace chip and a 180 thermostat. The performance mods I'm talking about are the ones that take from where it is now to the monster that I want it to be. Heads, supercharger, throttle body, where is the power for the money. I spent a bunch on stuff and I can tell that it is there, but I still want the stuff that will maybe launch me past a few stock 'stangs and z's. You know what I mean.
I realize that it is a truck and it is also 4X4 but, it also has the venerable 360 and I ought to be able to wake the beast that lies within. Thanks for the input so far. By the way, if I have wasted my time on one of the items so far please tell me, and offer a suggestion of replacement. Its still trial and error for me.
Old 08-08-2000, 03:42 PM

I would definately consider a TB upgrade, cam and heads. Try www.hughesengines.com www.fastdodge.com www.crower.com for some info and ideas.

------------------
94 Dakota Sport 5.2L, 3.90 auburn LSD, K+N X-stream filtercharger, MSD 6A, Blaster Coil II, Taylor wires, MP Computer, Pacesettter headers, Dynomax supercat, Flowmaster 50, Crower 1.7 rockers, Lakewood traction bars, Transgo shift kit, MP valve covers, Firestone Firehawks SS20
Old 08-08-2000, 05:43 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by bigpoppa:
a throttle bottle spacer from PowerAid,

By the way, if I have wasted my time on one of the items so far please tell me, and offer a suggestion of replacement. Its still trial and error for me.
OK you asked... the throttle body spacer isn't doing anything for you except taking up space. I'd look into some 1.7 rockers and then that supercharger that you always wanted!
Old 08-08-2000, 11:18 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Duner:
OK you asked... the throttle body spacer isn't doing anything for you except taking up space. I'd look into some 1.7 rockers and then that supercharger that you always wanted!
Have you done the rocker thing, without changing anything else? It looks like a pretty good return on the investment.
Which supercharger for a truck, roots type or centrifical?

Old 08-09-2000, 03:04 AM

Thumbs up

I did the Crower 1.7s with the pushrod upgrade. They are definately worth it. I saw a R/T who put them on and they really woke up his truck.

------------------
Old 08-09-2000, 09:29 PM
Inactive User

Cool

The rockers are worth the investment, but if you plan to change cams later be careful of the lift. I'm running th 1.6:1(same as stock) Mopar roller rockers, I did it just to free up the RPM's. The Mopar PCM is a great addition, it gives your fuel, ign advance, higher revs, shift points, and no speed limiter. I was running the JET stage 2 over my Mopar PCM, for more gains. If you've got the auto, do the tranny cable adjustment for firmer shifts. I went with the Powerdyne SC, rated at 6 psi, I get up to 7.5. It is a centrifigal type, has no oil lines from teh engine, and is super-quiet.
For the best buy on Mopar parts and accessories call John McCracken @ Earnhardt Dodge, Gilbert AZ 877-MY MOPAR. He ships anywhere and has great prices, I saved over $60 on a set of gears.

------------------
Pwrdyn360
99 Dakota R/T
Powerdyne SC
Old 08-09-2000, 09:59 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for all the input, did I understand right on the last comment, that you used the MOPAR PCM with the JET stage II or you used the Jet Stage II instead of the MOPAR PCM. How do I tell if my Jet is or is able to be a Stage II? Does anyone have a good idea on the cost difference between a roots type and a centrifical sc and which one is the easiest to install. And actually since I am looking for increased bottom end torque and overall horsepower what are the general trains of thought on styles of SC's. The main question, spend the $450 on the 1.7 rockers or wait and spend $? on the SC?
Old 08-10-2000, 03:53 AM

When combine with a supercharger, the rockers should be worth their weight in gold.

------------------