Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-26-2000, 12:43 PM
Inactive User

Question

I have an 88 Dak 5spd, it falls on its face when gas is applied in any gear, however it doesn't do it all the time. Also it doesn't idle all that great (high rather than low) Any help please.
Old 07-26-2000, 05:38 PM
Inactive User

Angry

i have a 2000 dakota 3.9 v6 & 5 spd. it does the same thing but only when it's cold (1st 5 min of running). i took it to the dealer, talked to the district service rep. and they both told me that the fuel curve is mapped very lean and that there isn't much that can be done to fix it. i think that in my case, sometimes it's a safety hazard when pulling out into traffic the first thing in the morning. is anyone else with this combo having problems? what can be done in this situtation? i think that this is unacceptable for a brand new truck.
Old 07-26-2000, 11:41 PM
Inactive User

Just wonder if you guys have had the timing chain replaced? I've heard if your over 50K miles with the V6 it may need to be done.
Old 08-06-2000, 03:34 AM
Inactive User

I am having a similar situation on my 99 V6 at 8500 miles.It feels like it intermittently loses a cylinder(or two).It has good days and bad,but it`s most always there to some degree.You can feel it start to sag/surge,and lose power,to where you have to kick it down to a lower gear to maintain your speed.My thoughts are bad plugs(GOOD LUCK getting them out!),or plug wires,or even the TPS.I`m finding out that five-star service is missing most of it`s stars.They either don`t see the problem,which is the most aggravating,or try something that doesn`t fix it.The trucks are apparently getting too complex for the service people to fully understand,and that`s not good for us.Mine goes back in Wednesday,so I`ll let you all know if they find it.

------------------
Steve P. 99 Dak sport 4x4 V6 RC 3.92 anti-spin Intense Blue
Old 08-13-2000, 08:25 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

Kuda my 88 Dak has the same problems. Its a 5-speed also. Idles way to high and some days give it some gas and it just bogs and almost dies. Other days no problem. I've reset my comp. on it a few times which cures the idle problem but gives it some major hesitation, it eventully idles higher anyways and the hesitation goes away. Thinking a Perf. Chip may help not sure... Truck has 2 1/2in exh, flowmaster 40 with duel off the muffler, Taylor wires, Ngk V-Groove plugs open element with a K&N, 180 Deg Therm, Let me know if you find an answer to the problem

Corey