Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-19-2000, 06:08 AM
Inactive User

I installed my new performance engine controller today on my 99 R/T cc. While the tech at my local dodge dealer was doing the necessary VIN programming, he informed me that it would take up to 3 days for the new controller to programm itself for maximum efficiency. Since this was not the first time I had heard of this, I am inclined to believe him. Can anybody out there clue me in as to why or how these new controllers work the way they do? By the way, on my first test drive with the new controller, I did notice a pretty good gain at the seat of my pants! Changing shift points to about 5500 RPM really keeps the truck pulling hard!
Old 08-19-2000, 08:27 AM
Inactive User

I don't know alot about these things, but I've heard it's kinda like alot of other things. The computer just needs alittle time to learn your driving style and other things related, then it can tell your truck what to do to better, thus, better performance. All i know is that these computers are getting a little too smart, seein the movie "the matrix" kinda scares me.
Old 08-20-2000, 01:15 AM
Inactive User

The PCM looks at the upstream o2 sensor feed back(the one in frort of the cat) when the engine is warm. Based on this,fuel is add or removed over the RPM range. When the PCM is first powered up it has a base setting of 0, They learn very fast and are always adjusting.Most Chrysler PCMs can add or remove 15% of fuel from the mix based on the O2 sensors feed back.On a cold engine or full throttle the PCM goes to a fixed setting that does not change with O2 input.The 2nd O2 sensor(Behind the cat)is there to check the cat.On some systems it is used as a fail safe sensor.

------------------

[This message has been edited by 98 bird of prey (edited August 19, 2000).]