Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-06-2000, 08:33 PM
Inactive User

I own a 97 Ram SS/T. I love the truck, with the lone exception of the brakes. They are, in my opinion, poor. It seems like they do not have the stopping power to handle this vehicle. Is the something on the market to enhance the stopping power. I've changed the pads to a harder material with some improvement, but not what I'm looking for. Is there sufficient pressure to stop and just not enough pad and and disk??? Anybody else with this concern? All input would be appreciated. RC
Old 02-07-2000, 06:26 AM

You can use the semi-metalics, if you would like, at the cost of eating up your drums and discs. Something to remember is that this is a big truck and it does insulate you, a little, from the feel of braking. Also, being a big truck does mean that you can only take braking so far before the wheels lock up. I have activated the ABS in my truck more than once, due to some moron clipping me.

------------------
'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4
Old 02-07-2000, 09:36 PM
Inactive User

Question

Now this was a few years ago, but when I was in the Air Force we had Rams for our trucks.These new ones just don't seem to hauldown as fast with or with out a load. The have been a few times where i have encounter these Moron's, ( can't we get a state for these people somewhere? I was reading around on this site, and have talked to others with the same sentiment about the rams. Hmm. I wonder if this problem had anything to do with the change to the two stage calipers installed on the new truck's, and if that system would be interchangable? ANYBODY?
Old 02-08-2000, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by road chicken:
Now this was a few years ago, but when I was in the Air Force we had Rams for our trucks.These new ones just don't seem to hauldown as fast with or with out a load. The have been a few times where i have encounter these Moron's, ( can't we get a state for these people somewhere? I was reading around on this site, and have talked to others with the same sentiment about the rams. Hmm. I wonder if this problem had anything to do with the change to the two stage calipers installed on the new truck's, and if that system would be interchangable? ANYBODY?
It might be possible that Brembro may make something to fit your truck. It would be worth investigating.
Old 02-11-2000, 05:15 AM

There is a TSB at dodgeram.com that says to increase the rear brake wheel cylinder to the one ton size. This will cause the rear to work faster. Also keep the rear adjusted out at least monthly. Dodge says that the auto adjust will only work when backing and you must come to a complete stop. I have found it easier to just get out my brake spoon and keep them adjusted. Good luck
Old 02-11-2000, 02:21 PM
Inactive User

I think Dodge recognized the problem because I had a 96 Ram and didn't stop very well like you stated. But, I got a new 99' quad-cab last summer and it has a different master cylinder and that thing stops super fast! Mabeye you could find out exactly what changed on the 99's.

------------------
Check out http://www.donet.com/bemiller/ and let me know what you think!!
Old 02-14-2000, 03:56 AM

I was watching shade mechanic on the 12th of feb. they were going over some shows they did in the past. one of the hosts has a dodge ram 3500, he calls it midnight, (its black.) anyway they showed some brake upgrades they had done didn't mention the parts on this show. but i found out that someone thinks raybestos brute stop brakes from the dana corp. and some other components from stewart brake components, were used. does anyone know the web sites for these places. i would like to check it out. maybe this is the answer. you would think with all these brake problems the aftermarket would make an upgrade. we need to give the aftermarket this web site so they can see the number of people who would be interested in an upgrade
Old 02-14-2000, 04:12 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for all your input. I did notice on the 98 rams, the braking sytem had changed to a system using a BOSCH master and a few other items different from mine. I will attempt to see just how difficult a full swap of the braking system will be. At least what needs to be swapped, added, deleted. Thanks again you guys. Bemiller, nice site! If I ever get a chance to set up one I'm talking to you.Again, nice job.