Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-17-2000, 04:55 AM

I called the Mopar Performance tech line today, actually I've called them 4 times in the last 2 weeks. I keep bugging them about when they are going to come out with a unit for the 4.7 5spd combo. (I do it at work, and call the 800 number)

They keep saying the same thing, they haven't heard anything about it yet. The guy I talked to today said that they don't tell them anything, they just let them know what and when it's avalible.
He said that the next time he talked to the group that does the building of item's, he would tell them that there is a demand for these unit's.
If anyone else with a 4.7 5spd could take the time to call the tech line and press them on this, it could help speed them up.

The tech line number is 248-969-1690.
Sorry, but I can't give out the 800 number, it's for dealers only.

Later,
Jeff C.

------------------
00 Dakota RC 2wd, Intense Blue, 4.7 V8 5spd, 3.55 gears. A/C, tilt/cruise, decal free, 255/60-15" Firestone's, and loud pipe's.
Old 08-17-2000, 05:16 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks Jeff, I'll give them a call tomorrow. I want one NOW!
Old 08-29-2000, 05:50 AM

I was on the DML list earlier today, someone posted that Chrysler was using the same PCM for 5 spds and auto's.
This didn't sound right to me. Anyone have any idea's on this?
I know all the older models had one for auto and another for 5 spds. Could it have something to do with the OBD11 system the newer trucks have?
The thing that worries me is the disclaimer in the MP catalog that states "automatics, except as noted". Of course, there is not a note on the newer trucks.

I'm going to call the Mopar tech line again tomorrow and see if I can get a definate answer from them.

Later,
Jeff C.

------------------
"There's no such thing as too much cam, just not enough motor"
-David Freiburger

00 Dakota RC 2wd, Intense Blue, 4.7 V8 5spd, 3.55 gears. A/C, tilt/cruise, decal free, 255/60-15" Firestone's, and loud pipe's.
Old 08-29-2000, 05:10 PM
Inactive User

Keep us posted! I'm very interested in this computer. Are you saying the auto is already out?

Scott
Old 08-30-2000, 04:56 AM

The MP computer for the 4.7 automatic, 2wd is showed on the Chrysler locater as having a shipper commitment date of September 8th or 9th. Meaning that the supplier is telling Chrysler that they will ship them on/or before that date. They are usually pretty close, within a week or so.
The tech at work said "there is no way the auto will work with the 5spd, or the other way around. MP tech line said the same thing.

For those of you with 4.7 automatics that are looking for a MP computer, I would suggest that you have your dealership, or whoever you are planning on buying from put in an order for you asap.
Chrylser orders MP parts in "batches", the more demand they get for something, the more they order from the supplier.

The place I have found that offers the lowest price I have seen on them yet is www.earnhardts.com
They are selling for 15% over dealer net.

Later,
Jeff C.

------------------
-David Freiburger

Old 09-10-2000, 06:01 AM
Inactive User

Cool

I was in Earnhardt's on friday (9/8/00). They told me that they expect to get the computers in next week. (week of 9/11/00) They told me another fine morsel of info. The automatic and the standard trans use the same performance PCM! The PCM doesn't change the shift points because it doesn't have anything to do with it. The automatic trans has it's own controller, which is separate. They only have 2 different part numbers for the 4.7 performance pcm...one for California and a Federal version. I am supposed to get mine next week. I'll keep everyone posted, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 09-10-2000, 07:15 AM

Duner,

If you are going to buy the automatic PCM, and you have a 5 speed be sure to get something in writing saying if it won't work they will take it back.

I hope they are right...it would make my life so much easier.

My worry is this, the factory part number is not the same for auto and 5 spd. While it's true that the auto has it's own controller. The engine PCM "tells" the tranny controller what engine RPM you are at. Not to mention how much throttle you are using (to delay or speed up the shift). I'm sure there is some other inputs it sends to the TCM, I just don't know them off hand.

To put it in simple terms, the TCM tells the tranny to shift, but the PCM has to tell the TCM "when" to shift.
Like I said above, I hope that I'm wrong.

Please DO let us know if and how well it works.

Later,
Jeff C.

------------------
-David Freiburger

00 Dakota RC 2wd, IB with a 4.7 V8 5spd, 3.55 gears. A/C, tilt/cruise, decal free, 255/60-15" Firestone's,loud pipe's, and more to come.
Old 09-14-2000, 04:51 PM

Question

For some reason, my posting on this topic never made it to the bulletin board, but I was told over a month ago by MOPAR Performance that all performance computer modules for 4X4 trucks were being discontinued. The rep from MOPAR told me that too many problems were being reported by people who use their trucks for towing. I also have a 4.7l 5-speed in my 2000 Dakota. I think the engine has far greater potential than the stock module allows. I would like to see a more moderate version of the performance computer or module from MOPAR. Perhaps something like the Stage I JET chip would be better for those of us who tow ocasionally. I'm afraid of the JET module because of bad reviews, so I guess I'm stuck for now.

------------------
Brad Byers
Old 09-15-2000, 03:08 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Well..........Mopar said it would be another month before they were released....again. My parts guy said October 14 or 18 or something like that. I'll believe it when he calls and says it's sitting on his counter. I remember it took 2 full years before they came out with one for the 98 R/Ts. Maybe about the time I'm picking up my new 2003 Hemi R/T they'll have the pcm out for this truck.

The waite continues.............
Old 09-15-2000, 04:13 AM

Duner...yep, I checked the part number at work today. They are NOW showing a supplier ship commitment of I believe October 13th.

Does anyone know who does the programing for the MP PCM's?

Talk to you later,
Jeff C.

------------------
-David Freiburger

00 Dakota RC 2wd, IB with a 4.7 V8 5spd, 3.55 gears. A/C, tilt/cruise, decal free, 255/60-15" Firestone's,loud pipe's, and more to come.
Old 09-15-2000, 07:18 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Thanks Jeff,
That figures..... I was really looking forward to having a mid-14 second truck for the Truckin' Nationals that will be here in Phoenix on October 7th & 8th. I will still want the new pcm but it sure would have been nice to get it a week earlier. Oh well, maybe I won't get to spank very many R/Ts afterall! hehehe You can bet I'll still give it a good try tho. Somebody has to show those big, mean 5.9 guys what the little 4.7 can do!