Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-15-2000, 06:23 PM
Inactive User

Question

Hey everyone -

Does anybody know of some good mods to do to the 3.9L V6. My friend has a 5spd 3.9 Dakota Sport, and we've been looking at what to do to make it keep up with everyone around here.

I've looked at headers, but all I can find is for the 87-91 3.9. Is there any huge differences or will these headers fit on his 95?

The only mods we've got so far is a Flowmaster and an open element air filter.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

-Joel Likness
Old 09-15-2000, 06:47 PM

I think I remember reading somewhere thet Thorley started making headers for the magnum V6 engines. I'm not sure though and I can't back that statement up. I'm sure that JBA makes them for your truck. You should be able to upgrade to a high performance cat, do gears and a lsd, ratioed rockers, performance TB, cam, head work, ect... Unfortunately, it is harder to find the aftermarket support for any Mopar (especially the magnum V6), but it is there and as always, custom work is never out of the question. Try http://members.spree.com/business/krcperform and www.hughesengines.com for parts and custom work.

BTW, welcome to the board!

------------------
94 Dakota Sport 5.2L, 3.90 auburn LSD, K+N X-stream filtercharger, MSD 6A, Blaster Coil II, Taylor wires, MP Computer, Pacesettter headers, Dynomax supercat, Flowmaster 50, Crower 1.7 rockers, Lakewood traction bars, Hellwig sway bar, Transgo shift kit, MP valve covers, Firestone Firehawks SS20

[This message has been edited by Fastdak (edited September 15, 2000).]
Old 09-16-2000, 01:51 AM
Slingn mud & burnin tires

jslikness> Your friend should consider outher routes before headers (IMO...) Magnum manifolds have been proven to flow very well. I would suggest that he use the ~$500 or so that he'd spend on headers on such things as a ported (or v8) TB, electric fan, crank pulley, MP computer (if avail) before getting headers.

If he's wanting even more flow, then I can tell him how to mod his stock intake manifold. Since the MPI isn't available for the 3.9...

------------------
Jon Smith
jon@fast4x4.net
<A HREF="http://www.fast4x4.net
" TARGET=_blank>www.fast4x4.net
</A> '95 Dak CC 4x4 318/auto
Old 09-16-2000, 04:46 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Thanks for the help guys! I think I've got a little bit better idea on which way we should go about this. I'm thinking MSD box first, either that or electric fans, then pulleys, and a halfways decent exhaust, and then we'll see how it goes from there.

I'm thinking on the exhaust, maybe we should just go with duals all the way back from the manifolds. He wants the 50-series flowmaster sound, so that and high-flow cats shouldn't sound too bad...

Thanks again, the KRC Website is great!

-Joel Likness
Old 09-16-2000, 05:30 PM

I've got a buddy with the flowmaster 50 on his 3.9 dak. It's not as throaty as the V8s, but it does have a pretty mean sound to it.

------------------
94 Dakota Sport 5.2L, 3.90 auburn LSD, K+N X-stream filtercharger, MSD 6A, Blaster Coil II, Taylor wires, MP Computer, Pacesettter headers, Dynomax supercat, Flowmaster 50, Crower 1.7 rockers, Lakewood traction bars, Hellwig sway bar, Transgo shift kit, MP valve covers, Firestone Firehawks SS20