Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Inactive User

Default ditributer help

well i was informed that 73 and later electronic dizys are egr curves? or are lean burn. how can i tell the diffrence?are thay marked i have 5 or 6 dizys laying around and i wany use the good one that ant egr or leanburn (yeas im sure i speld some thing wrong i dont care)
Old 02-07-2009, 08:58 PM

This is a second generation lean burn setup. The first generation featured dual pick ups, under the cap. The key thing to note is that neither of them have vacuum advance. http://www.allpar.com/mopar/lean-burn.html

Old 02-07-2009, 09:14 PM

Here is a first generation. The two sets of wires give this one away.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Inactive User

ok so if my electronic dizy has the vacume advance pod on it, is a good one.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Thats the one you want. You can get the MP quick advance springs if need be. How ever informed you about distrib's dosen't know much.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblefish360 View Post
Thats the one you want. You can get the MP quick advance springs if need be. How ever informed you about distrib's dosen't know much.
ok on my electronic dizy wut do mp springs do for the advance? are thay softer and advance faster?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Inactive User

Yup! I know three speed shops here that can "re-curve" your advance too. About $50. The canister can also be changed to pull more or less advance, depending on the vaccumm. MOPAR made one of the best, if not the best OEM electronic ignition systems for the era. And they'll still fire a nitro or alky Hemi dragster.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwagon360 View Post
ok on my electronic dizy wut do mp springs do for the advance? are thay softer and advance faster?
To answer questions 1,2 & 3 in a word, yes. Though they may not be needed. It is also possible to use just one as well.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:59 AM
Inactive User

Lets not get into the Recurving deal again, the easiest way is probably what me and rumble already know and the mp springs or Mr Gasket are the way to go if you dont have one get one or have some body that Knows how to use one a Timing Light With adjustabal degrees on it also remember when we say a dist has 14 degrees in it thats 28 degrees at the crank Dist deg times 2= crank deg so if you want 38 total initial would be 10deg.If using vac advance time it vac line off and pluuged also make sure you use a ported vacum source.i got it right Rumble Fish.?
Old 02-08-2009, 01:23 AM
Inactive User

The vacuum advance activation point is adjustable with a small hex wrench into the port and I'll adjust this as needed to obtain best mpg without ping. im lerning new things by the hour thanks for the help guys iv never looked in to the factory dizzys befor .i always figerd for performance by a msd or acell unit.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:26 AM
Inactive User

im lovin this ,its good stuff
http://www.4secondsflat.com/Mopar_Distributor_Tech.html
Old 02-08-2009, 04:57 AM
Inactive User

OK, I should have said vaccumm advance for daily-driver grocery getters or if you want the best fuel economy. But shoot. Look at a Weed Eater or a chain saw. They use a coil the size of a walnut and an igniton module the size of two big peanuts to fire an oil-gasoline mix. Not exactly high-tech. I've used a Jacobs Ignition system and liked it very well. MSD's are great. You really don't have to have either to run your car/truck. I got sick of points on 60's cycles, especially British ones, but their ignitions were so bad, it was a wonder they ran at all.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Inactive User

I know that this will be taboo...I lock all the advance out of my dist and pop rivit the plate after I set my airgap. I run the car at 34 degrees, start the car at 34 degrees, and it works for me!
Old 02-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Century Cp Guru View Post
Lets not get into the Recurving deal again, the easiest way is probably what me and rumble already know and the mp springs or Mr Gasket are the way to go if you dont have one get one or have some body that Knows how to use one a Timing Light With adjustabal degrees on it also remember when we say a dist has 14 degrees in it thats 28 degrees at the crank Dist deg times 2= crank deg so if you want 38 total initial would be 10deg.If using vac advance time it vac line off and pluuged also make sure you use a ported vacum source.i got it right Rumble Fish.?
All good here, but lets make it very simple, get a MoPar book called the Engines book for your style engine and read up on it. In the book is a section on ignition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwagon360 View Post
I have had a few convo's with "Don" and he did post here awhile back. To be honest, I think he got fustrated with a few things here. One being my opinion that I made very public to him on his way of thinking on ceretain builds and his advice he was giving. While there was actually very little to fault if any at all, I did wonder if he understood the term(s), "On the Cheap", "I have no money", "Will stock stuff work" etc....

Example; He would off the bat recomend to the hilt a Demon carb and allmost no other carb to use for any reason what so ever. Lord heaven forbid you wanted to use a Carter /Edelbrock carb. But while theres nothing wrong with his choice of parts, they were allways the expensive way of going about things and allways but allways his way of thinking was a race oriented way of doing things.

He's a good man and a great help when it comes to things. An excellent guy to speak to and he will help you. If you want to go racing and need help, he has my thumbs up.

I just don't subscribe to his race way of thinking for the street and on mild engines. It's not allways a needed move to do.