Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Inactive User

Default E-85 Gas

I'm going to build a 440 and don't wont to buy racing fuel for 6,50$ a gallon when i can get e-85 for 1,80 $.i figuer 12.5 to 1 pistons should not be a problem .so what needs to be changed to do this or is it a wast of time?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:08 AM
Inactive User

You need to modify the carb for E-85 which needs to run richer than gasoline. Also check all of the lines/hoses etc. to make sure they won't break down from the alcohol. Ignition timing may be a bit different too, but other than those few things it's not that different.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:42 AM
Inactive User

Well, really it is quite a bit different, much like building a methanol burning engine. E-85 has advantages and disadvantages as a fuel. You'll burn alot more fuel per HP. Combustion chamber shape is very different than for gasoline. You can make good HP with E-85, but you need lots of compression, and a cam, carburator and a very strong ignition system, big fuel lines and a big volume fuel pump. Mopar Muscle had an engine build-up article on a RB designed for E-85 last year(visit their web-site, I think it's still in their "Tech articles" on there).
Old 02-10-2009, 02:19 AM
Inactive User

good reading here...

http://www.raceone85.com/

ethanol is not as corrisive as methonal....you will buy about 40% more fuel...

quickfuel technology sells new metering blocks for e-85 on summit racing for about 120 dollars for holley 4150 carbs...

octane rating is about 105...
Old 02-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Inactive User

70aarcuda that was a great web site to read .i believe this is going to be a great build 13to1 is not out the question and may even be easy on parts too,I don't personelly now anyone that has built a e85 motor but i'm willing to give it a shot.