Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Inactive User

Confused Edelbrock AVS carb accel pump

I have a like new Edelbrock 800 Thunder series AVS carb and it works very well except for 1 thing.... It delivers little or no fuel through the accelerator pump when the throttle blades are opened slightly as in slow acceleration from a dead stop.
I pulled the carb off and confirmed that fact on the bench. If the throttle is opened quickly and at least about 1/8 of the way, it appears to work just fine. However, when opened normally and just slightly, there is not much if any fuel flowing out of the pump nosels.

On to my question: I remember hearing some time ago from some Edelbrock die hards that they removed the accelerator pump check ball and spring which supposedly helped a situation similar to mine. Has anyone ever done this and does it work?
Any other ideas to try to correct this problem? (Physically, all looks O.K., inside the carb and it is clean.)
Thanks!
David
Old 02-14-2009, 12:42 AM
Inactive User

I would install new accelerator cup first. Maybe old one dried up alittle.
The check ball and spring were put there for a reason, I wouldn't remove them. If carb cleaner got on accel-pump seal, it will ruin it also. I learned the hard way.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:03 AM
Inactive User

Find the point of pump travel at which fuel discharge starts and adjust the link to start the pump at this point off idle.