Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Inactive User

Default School me on an R3

I'm finishing up my first motor build, Indy headed 340. Gathering info for the next build. I'm looking for 4 digit power from a turbo indy r3 motor. But I found out there are issues with roller lifters in a 59 degree block. What gives and can it be fixed? Or do I have to run a 48 degree block? If so, will indy 360-1's work with it? Most likely will be the tall 9.56 block. Thanks for any help/advice you may have to offer.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Banned

If your going R3 you may as well take advantage of the better 48* lifter angle, this puts the push rod straighter in line with the rocker/lifter.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by passing you View Post
If your going R3 you may as well take advantage of the better 48* lifter angle, this puts the push rod straighter in line with the rocker/lifter.
So the different angle of the pushrod wouldn't interfere with the head?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Banned

You don't have to go r3 to run roller lifters, just might need to grind a lil on the block to get clearance for the link bars.

Call comp cams or crane or lunati and tell them what you are doing and with what block, you might need a smaller base circle on the cam to keep oil pressure from pissing out due to the fact that a lot of mopar lifter bores are machined funky causing the oil holes to be exposed on the lifter itself at full lift.
Some poor soul over at 'for somethingother .com' had this happen to him along with experiencing the poor machine work of eddelsomething heads.

good luck
Old 02-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by passing you View Post
You don't have to go r3 to run roller lifters, just might need to grind a lil on the block to get clearance for the link bars.

Call comp cams or crane or lunati and tell them what you are doing and with what block, you might need a smaller base circle on the cam to keep oil pressure from pissing out due to the fact that a lot of mopar lifter bores are machined funky causing the oil holes to be exposed on the lifter itself at full lift.
Some poor soul over at 'for somethingother .com' had this happen to him along with experiencing the poor machine work of eddelsomething heads.

good luck
The only reason I want to run an R3 is because of the power levels its able to accommodate. I have comp solid rollers in my production 340 block. But when I was researching the r3 blocks, I ran into one of these ---> * 59 degree r3 are not recommended for roller tappets. I basically want to know if a set of indy heads can be bolted onto a 48 degree block without any issues.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:52 AM
Inactive User

79mopower, i just purchased a book called "HOW TO BUILD BIG-INCH MOPAR SMALL BLOCKS"................I Know yours in not a stroker, but it has some grate info on the R3 blocks that even mother mopar don't tell ya! but i will give a couple of paragraphs out of it that my be of interst to ya..........

They can handle 750+ HP are high nickel cast iron and weigh 230 pounds!

P4876795ac is basically a super HD version of you current 340 and all will interchange.........except for a few miner changes such as having LA 318 motor mount ears, as well as the Magnum.
It states that the 59* lifter bores (stock 340) are good to 7000 rpm or no higher then 6500 for a consistent rpm!

P4876673AC is the 48* R3 version.
If you want to us this one......You had better rob a bank first

The cam shaft is special to the 48* block and are only available as UGL'S(UN-GROUND LOBES) from MPP or Comp Cams.

The only cylinders designed to work on a 48* are W7, W8, W9, and a special intake, special cam gear drive(no chain available) special timing cover, pickup tube, oil pan exc...........Acualy the gear drive was on the Alum version.......But you see what i mean buy lot of these$$$

If $$$$$$ is no object, then the 48* R3 is for you!!!!!!! if not, then i would go with the 59* R3 and build it to run under 7000 RPM

If your interested in the book above it published by S/A-DESIGN.
It's a good book, with lots of info on the LA and Magnum eng.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:44 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the info cudafever. Well I won't be at "constant" 7k, maybe that was geared more for the roundy rounds. Nonetheless I'll be picking up that book.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Inactive User

Glad i could help.

what made you decide on the Indy head, and what Cyl head/motor was you using before to drag race.
What race body are you putting this Eng in?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudafever View Post
Glad i could help.

what made you decide on the Indy head, and what Cyl head/motor was you using before to drag race.
What race body are you putting this Eng in?
The motor i have now is a 340 bored/stroked to a 370, Indy 360-1 heads and intake, comp 680 roller, 12.5 compression. It will be going in my volare thats pictured. The volare previously had a 446 motor in it, tti headers, 720 roller, indy intake, 12 to 1 compression, ported 915s.

The r3 motor will be going into a 73 duster I picked up last year. With the turbo i'd hope to run mid 9s on an easy tune. Only reason i'm running indy heads is because I got them for 1500 complete lol, and they flow well ported.