Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Off-Topic Forum > Diecast and Model Car Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:12 AM

Default 1941 Plymouth Deluxe Coupe

http://home.earthlink.net/~hill7jack...eluxecoupe.jpg

I posted this previously at Spotlight Hobbies and Mopars in Scale message boards.

"Now some of you are going to say, wait, that has Super Deluxe bumpers!! Well, in my research I've seen those bumper wings on both Deluxe and Super Deluxe 41 Plymouths, they're only held on with 2 bolts and could have easily been installed by the dealership or by 2nd or 3rd owners many years after the fact. The main reason I wanted to build the less fancy model was so I didn't have to BMF the chrome fender welting that goes between fenders and main body. The wheels are AMT 40 Ford with the original not so very accurate 41 Plymouth full hubcaps trimmed down with sprue cutters then carefully sanded down until I ended up with a Plymouth script factory baby moon style hubcap. If you want accurate 41 Super Deluxe wheels, add the chrome trim ring from the 40 Ford kit as well. Other than that, it's box stock and I plan to scratch up the standard Deluxe bumpers and install the license plates and a few other detail items. I'll take pics again at that time. It's a decent kit of an unusual subject and if you can get around a few of the design foibles of it's 1967 era tooling, well worth the time to build. Hope you like it. "
Old 02-21-2009, 02:18 AM
Inactive User

Is that an old AMT kit? Nice job on a hard to find car. I wish Dragon/Tasca/Eduard et al; would get tired of armour and aircraft and run some 30'-40'-50's cars. You'd be talking about a 150-200 parts count kit with a sheet or two of photo-etch and fit and finish you can't believe. Even Tamyia car kits (1/25th) are a couple of generations behind the aircraft and armour models in design, and of course, the cars are larger scale.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:00 AM

Thanks, I always planned to build one and finally got off my duff and got it done. Yeah, that's it. It was first issued in 67, I think, then wasn't around for a long while then got reissued a few times more the past decade or so. The one I built had a burgundy Super Deluxe coupe on the box art with wide white walls, and I've also seen a version of the kit with a red 50s style street rod as well.
There's been a bunch of debate on that very subject over on the Spotlight message board. Sad thing is the armor and aviation folks just get out there and buy more stuff than the car guys, so they get more to choose from.
Another thing that kind of hurt was Trumpeter, a Japanese kit maker known for military kits did 2 versions of the 60 Pontiac as well as a 63 Nova and late 70s Monte Carlo. Unfortunately, while the kits had good detail, some of them had flaws like a too short roof on the hardtop 60 and a too short windshield on the Nova, and combined with competition from a cheaper reissue of the old MPC 80 "Wheeler Dealer" Monte Carlo kit and much kvetching about details from US modelers, I think that Trumpeter has gave up on the US car kit market. A shame, really, I was hoping for some Mopars that hadn't been done already... I expect Tamiya and most other of the international model makers just either aren't interested or unwilling to take a chance in the shaky US market. I miss the old days of the 60s-early 70s, and the late 80s-early 90s when kits got hot again for awhile. If not for that hot market, we wouldn't have the nice 68 Roadrunner, 70 Superbee, 68-69 Darts and several of the reissue kits that are out now.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

NICE build of a classic kit!
The way you cut down the wheelcovers reminds me of the way
a buddy of mine did the "baby moon"-type caps
on his phantom Turbine Car 4 door sedan conversion,
which he did as a Taxi (utilizing a modified Johan '68 Fury sedan interor
and plenty of scratchbuilding).
I did the period-correct Taxi graphics for him on my pc.
You ever go to the big annual model show in Pittsburgh PA?
The Three Rivers Automodelers Show?
Old 04-17-2009, 02:36 AM

I went a couple of years ago, have been meaning to go again but just too busy with the kids and things. Pittsburgh is just far enough away from here to be inconvenient, though I plan to hit the show again there some day.
Funny you mention the Turbine car, I'm building a curbside reissue right now. The body seems kind of small to me. I changed out the wheels and did it in a different color, basically making it look like Chrysler decided to put the body into production from 64 through 68. I'll post pics when finished.