Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-28-2000, 04:17 AM
Inactive User

dudes and duddettes,

where can i get a cheap Mopar PCM for my 2000 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V6 3.9L engine? how much do they go for? is the Jet Performance Chip the same?

MORE POWER TO DODGE

Thanks and MAHALO,
Scotty
Old 09-28-2000, 04:54 AM
Slingn mud & burnin tires

Not sure if the '00 PCM is realeased yet from MA Mopar... from my experiences on the dyno, dont waste your money on the JET...

------------------
Jon Smith
Cary, NC
educating the stupid, one kill at a time (quoteth Chuck)
www.fast4x4.net
Old 09-28-2000, 06:54 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

You can E mail jim at Eldardo Dodge in texas he sells the mopar pcm for the R/T's for 282.70 no tax no shipping

jim@cherokeetel.com

Scott Q

------------------
Scott Q
00 Dakota R/T cc
Old 09-28-2000, 09:11 AM
Inactive User

My dealer checked on a Mopar PCM for my 3.9 about a month ago. They said nothing available and no plans on a PCM for the v6. Jet seems to be the only ones that offer one. I have a buddy that is very happy with his unit from Jet. You can always have your computer flashed, but the cost will probably be higher. If your planning on supercharging your Dak, don't buy a computer upgrade. Most computer upgrades are not compatible with sc units. SC units usually need a custom flash of the computer. Good Luck
Old 09-28-2000, 10:36 AM
Inactive User

dude,

thanks for that quick reply. well i already have the Jet Performance Chip and i totally noticed the difference. right off the stop light. there was more accerleration at the low end. when i do gas it at the light i can chirp it if i wanted to. thats how much power the chip has. BUT i was wondering about the Mopar Chips. i've heard alot of people saying that they were AWESOME!!!! sheeeze!! if my Jet can do this imagine what the Mopar can do?

MORE POWER TO DODGE

Thanks and MAHALO,
Scotty

Quote:
Originally posted by Deep Dak:
My dealer checked on a Mopar PCM for my 3.9 about a month ago. They said nothing available and no plans on a PCM for the v6. Jet seems to be the only ones that offer one. I have a buddy that is very happy with his unit from Jet. You can always have your computer flashed, but the cost will probably be higher. If your planning on supercharging your Dak, don't buy a computer upgrade. Most computer upgrades are not compatible with sc units. SC units usually need a custom flash of the computer. Good Luck
Old 09-28-2000, 01:02 PM

Scotty, if you are seeing a nice performance gain with the JET chip, then just keep it. I really liked the first JET chip I had until it died on me (only had it for 6 months, there is a long saga behind it). I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that the JET chip will eliminate the speed limiter. Otherwise, there really isn't any reason for you to step up to a Mopar PCM as long as your chip is working correctly. Of coarse, this is just my opinion.

------------------
94 Dakota Sport 5.2L, 3.90 auburn LSD, K+N X-stream filtercharger, MSD 6A, Blaster Coil II, Taylor wires, MP Computer, Pacesettter headers, Dynomax supercat, Flowmaster 50, Crower 1.7 rockers, Lakewood traction bars, Hellwig sway bar, Transgo shift kit, MP valve covers, Firestone Firehawks SS20
Old 09-28-2000, 08:37 PM
Intense Blue Member

The MP PCM will do more than the Jet or other aftermarket chips. It eliminates the speed limiter; increases timing; increases fuel; changes the shift patterns; unlocks the torque converter early for faster acceleration. Mine made a big difference, particularly after the GenII and TB.

Jay T
00 IB CC R/T
Old 09-28-2000, 10:37 PM
Inactive User

I had a jet chip in my truck and i took it out, because of the charger. But from what i have heard the pcm is way better. You have to get the pcm flashed, depending on dealer, some will do it for free.

------------------
Anthony Leone
13.27@102.73
99 FR RC R/T
Powerdyne 6#, MSD 6btm,180 stat, headers, high flow cat, 3" flowmaster, autolite 3923's
Old 09-28-2000, 10:41 PM
Inactive User

The pcm wont change your shift patterns, only because your shifts are controlled by a throttle valve. If you want different shifts you will have to adjust the TV cable, and the pcm, at least for the R/T's changes your redline to 6300, but the stock valves start floating at about 5900-6k, so be careful.

------------------
Anthony Leone
13.27@102.73
99 FR RC R/T
Powerdyne 6#, MSD 6btm,180 stat, headers, high flow cat, 3" flowmaster, autolite 3923's
Old 09-29-2000, 06:55 PM
Intense Blue Member

Sorry Tony, but the shifts ARE changed by the PCM - some trans parameters are controlled electronically . The engine winds up higher before shifting, and the downshifts are available with less throttle pressure. The converter unlocks a lot easier too. Try one.

True, the shift firmness is controlled by trans line pressure, which you can adjust to some degree with the TV cable. But you can't raise the shift rpm as high as the PCM does, and if you try you have to endure very harsh shifts. With the PCM shifts are about the same firmness as stock.

BTW, the PCM does raise the rev limiter to ca. 6300 rpm, but shifts occur around 5500 rpm in auto mode. Little point in reving any higher without major engine mods.