Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-15-2000, 04:40 PM
Inactive User

I have a 383 that I am getting ready to have professionally rebuilt (my mechanical abilities are limited to basic repairs). I have saved some money, but am wondering what kind of total dollar figure I can expect (just a rough estimate). I am going to keep the motor basically stock, with the exception of an intake, 4bbl and cam kit (Edelbrock ?). The engine, at this time is a great runner and in very good shape; no smoking, knocking, etc, but in need of more power. I know that a 300hp 360 from mopar will run me about $3400.00. Would it be cheaper for me to go this route or would I save condiderably rebuilding the 383 ?
Thanks
Old 02-15-2000, 07:23 PM
Inactive User

Well if the motor is running fine why tear into the shortblock? Rebuilding the shortblock won't give you anymore power if the ring seal is fine as is. Check the compression and have your motor leak tested before you tear it apart. If you don't need to rebuild the bottom end then don't. It will cost at least $1500 to go thru the bottom end of a motor and you won't even notice the difference if your motor is good now.

If your motor does need to be rebuilt then the cost is going to depend on what you have done. There are a lot of choices once you open up a motor and a lot of ways to empty your wallet. Do you want to balance the motor, align hone or bore the mains, deck the block, etc? These are all operations which typically are not needed on a stock type rebuild but often times people have them done anyway. Doing all of this optional stuff will add $500 to $1000 onto the bill.

My advice is that you should go do some research. There are some good books available on rebuilding a Mopar big block, and on rebuilding motors in general. Also, visit 2 or 3 local machine shops in your area and get price sheets from them. That will tell you what it is going to cost. Order up some catalogs from people like PAW, Summit, Jegs, etc and put a list together of all the parts which you want to buy. With a little work you'll be able to figure out exactly what it is going to cost.

While your at it, consider the cost of rebuilding a 400 instead of a 383 (use the 383 crank since it is forged), or consider the cost of stepping up to a 440.
Old 02-15-2000, 08:29 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Thanks for the input. I will ask some of the local shops around here for advice and pricing. I know that I want a stock motor, only with the added advantage of a 4bbl/intake and cam. I am not looking for a street stormer, only more performance. The motor does run great as it is and I probably don't need to tear it down, but I would like to get more hp out of it. Your advice was very helpful as was Christopher's a month ago. I will most likely add the 4bbl set-up, valve springs, cam, etc and wait until a rebuild is absolutely necessary.
Thank you again.
Dave