Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-09-2000, 05:36 PM

I have noticed when I am on the street, and I launch at the lights, I get severe hop. I was wondering if anyone has seen the traction bars that mount on top of the spring... and you can set for different pre-loads. I think Competition Eng. has one, but I am not sure.

99 CC yellow r/t
JBA headers (straight pipe...no muffler)
mopar pcm
stock everything else
14.83 e.t
Old 10-09-2000, 06:39 PM

I use lakewood traction bars on occasion and like them for the price ($35 or less).

------------------
94 Dakota Sport 5.2L, Magnum Performance Super Karbine 250 throttle body, 3.90 auburn LSD, K+N X-stream filtercharger, MSD 6A, Blaster Coil II, Taylor wires, MP Computer, Pacesettter headers, Dynomax supercat, Flowmaster 50, Crower 1.7 rockers, Lakewood traction bars, Hellwig sway bar, Transgo shift kit, MP valve covers, Firestone Firehawks SS20
Old 10-09-2000, 09:17 PM

Cool

I bought a set of Roadmaster Active Suspension traction bars for my Dakota. I saw them being installed on an episode of Crank & Chrome, and I ordered a pair. I hope to get them put on this weekend. They appear to be a piece of cake to install, and they should take care of axle wrap and wheel hop since they essentially preload the rear leaf springs ever so slightly. The truck on TV was used for hauling and towing, and the owner chose them because they don't destroy flex in the process of increasing traction (unlike some other setups). I'll let you know how they perform. I had a 1996 Dakota short bed regular cab 4X4, and wheel hop was tremendous in snow or low traction situations. My 2000 Club Cab seems much better, but the Roadmasters should cure what problems are there.

------------------
Brad Byers
Y2KOTA 4X4 CC
4.7 / 5-spd.
K&N filter, Gibson muff
Old 10-10-2000, 12:56 AM

Musclebound,

I designed and built my own traction bar system. Used stock Mopar parts, plus some steel from a local place.
I took my Dak to the dragstrip 3 weeks ago, I couldn't get any traction in first, or second gear. I was shifting into third gear at about the 1000' mark, she still barked the tires. I didn't even have the intake on it at that time.
I will be at the track this Saturday again, going to try out my traction bar system then.
I will post my results after Saturday.

Later,
Jeff C.

------------------
"There's no such thing as too much cam, just not enough motor"
-David Freiburger

00 Dakota RC 2wd, IB 4.7 V8 5spd. 3.55's. Decal free, 255/60-15 Firestone's, loud pipe's, homemade intake and traction bars, removed overloads, and more to come...

[This message has been edited by Mopar_Maniac (edited October 09, 2000).]
Old 10-10-2000, 06:22 PM

HEY MOPAR_MANIAC... JUST THOUGHT YOU WOULD LIKE TO HEAR THIS, I MET A GUY AT THE TRACK... AND HE HAS THE SAME TRUCK (SPORT) WITH 4.7 5 SPEED... ALL HE HAS IS THE AIR BOX, TRACTION BARS AND SLICKS... WHEN HE DUMPS THE CLUTCH AROUND 3000-3500 I SH#&&T YOU NOT, HE PULLS THE FRONT END OFF ABOUT 6"...!!! (HE RUNS 14.20) MADE ME WANT TO SELL THE R/T
LET ME KNOW HOW YOU ASSEMBLED YOUR TRACTION BARS...
THANKS
Old 10-10-2000, 07:00 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Has anyone tried those suspension airbags??
Old 10-10-2000, 07:54 PM

I have only tried the air bags on my grandnational... passenger side to help it launch straight, not as a cure for wheel hop