Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-11-2000, 06:10 PM
Inactive User

Question

My tranny was rebuilt in July. When I went to pick it up from tranny shop, it wouldn't start. Tranny Owner said it was just a wire off. He fixed it. Been driving it for 2 months. Yesterday, I left truck in parking lot for about 20 minutes when I got back it wouldn't start. It's doing the same thing it did when it wouldn't start at tranny shop. It cranks over, but just won't start. It's a 96 Dakota Sport, 3.9L, 4x4, manual 5 sp.
Old 10-11-2000, 06:18 PM
Inactive User

To be general you're probably not getting any spark ignition or fuel to the motor. That is just a guess. My wire to the fuel pump ended up getting damaged on my truck and I had to slice a new piece in place of it. That solved my problem. Someone who knows these truck should be able to tell you more details.

------------------
1988 Dodge Ram D100, 3.9 V-6, Throttle Body Fuel Injection, Chrysler A-999 Transmission, Chrysler 8.25 Rear with 3.54 gear, Hercules Step Bumper 1200#tongue/12000#pull, Reese Hitch 750#tongue/7500#pull, Hopkins "Quick Connect" Trailer Plug, Hopkins trailer circuit breaker, Kenwood AM/FM Stereo CD player, Pioneer 5 speaker system, Mohawk aluminum cap(painted to match truck) with custom installed PM red/yellow marker lights and PM third brake light, Blazer 55 watt Driving Lights, 2 sets of Custom Cut Floor Mats Red and Burgundy, Lighted Cupholders with control switch.
Old 10-11-2000, 06:26 PM
Inactive User

Question

Thank you for your response. I don't think its the fuel filter. I think it has to do with the tranny. Is there a starter wire that connects to the clutch peddle or something? Isn't there some switch located on the bell housing on the motor side? Its not a pressure switch just a switch from what I've been told.
Old 10-11-2000, 06:27 PM
Geek

Welcome to Moparchat, Dakotess!
Old 10-11-2000, 06:29 PM
Inactive User

Thanks. I wish it was under better circumstances.
Old 10-11-2000, 06:32 PM
Inactive User

Hmmm.... That puts a different light on things. It could very well be a switch. I know nothing about Chrysler manual trannys. I'm still learning about their automatics! I know that on my truck if the shifter is not put into park with decent pressure then the truck thinks it is in another gear and won't even turn over. Probably a faulty switch on my truck as well. Someone will most likely know more about this. Good Luck.

------------------
1988 Dodge Ram D100, 3.9 V-6, Throttle Body Fuel Injection, Chrysler A-999 Transmission, Chrysler 8.25 Rear with 3.54 gear, Hercules Step Bumper 1200#tongue/12000#pull, Reese Hitch 750#tongue/7500#pull, Hopkins "Quick Connect" Trailer Plug, Hopkins trailer circuit breaker, Kenwood AM/FM Stereo CD player, Pioneer 5 speaker system, Mohawk aluminum cap(painted to match truck) with custom installed PM red/yellow marker lights and PM third brake light, Blazer 55 watt Driving Lights, 2 sets of Custom Cut Floor Mats Red and Burgundy, Lighted Cupholders with control switch.
Old 10-11-2000, 06:34 PM
Inactive User

Thank again.
Old 10-11-2000, 06:57 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Try looking under the clutch pedal itself, to see if there are any wires under there that may have become disconnected.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, maybe someone has a wiring diagram that they can post!

Welcome to the board!

Old 10-11-2000, 07:05 PM
Self proclaimed expert

It shouldn't be the clutch pedal switch. That switch keeps the engine from turning over at all unless the clutch pedal is fully depressed. It could be just a coincidence and your fuel pump may be going out. My 92 did the same thing when the fuel pump started going out, sometimes it would start, sometimes not. It could also be a loose wire to the pump.
To see if you are getting spark from the igniton, have a friend that drives a chevy stand on the bumper and pee on one of the plugs while you try to start the engine. If he screams, you have spark!! Sure, there are better ways but they aren't as funny.
Old 10-11-2000, 07:33 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the welcome Rob P. and thanks for the advice Guam. If I can't find a chevy owner will a Ford owner do? Can you tell me where the fuel filter is located?

Old 10-11-2000, 07:39 PM
Inactive User

Don't use a Ford owner!

(Running away as fast as I can)

[This message has been edited by Rob P (edited October 11, 2000).]
Old 10-11-2000, 07:58 PM
Self proclaimed expert

The filter and fuel pump should be one unit like in the older Daks, it is inside the tank.
Old 10-12-2000, 04:47 AM
Inactive User

there is another possibility. On these older Daks, it was common for the main power wire to the pcm to corrode at a certain splice and not power up the pcm. It will turn over, but will not start. to check this, open up the wire harness leading from the under hood fuse box (aka Power Distribution Center or PDC) and look for a 14(?) gauge wire, red I believe, that splices into 2 or 3 wires of the same color about 6 to 10 inches back from the pdc. open up the tape insulation over the splice, it will most likey fall apart in you hands and be all green and nasty looking. restrip the wires back to good copper, add in a short section if needed, and RESOLDER - DO NOT JUST TWIST THE WIRES OR USE CRIMP CONNECTORS!!!!! If you don't have a solder gun, borrow one or get someone who does to do it for you! retape and reassemble the harness, problem solved.

------------------
If all else fails, use a bigger hammer.

99 Intense Blue Dakota 4wd CC 5.2
ASE master, Daimler/Chrysler Gold Certified Auto Mechanic