Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Inactive User

Default carb

Hey guys the only carb i have is a 650 will it work ok on my stock 340?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Banned

yes it will work fine.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Banned

A 650 what?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Banned

holley hopefully, well if it was me.....
Old 04-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Banned

Well, we can't hold too much against you for that.........

Just some of us like carbs that meter fuel correctly all the time...

Whats scary is when I hear "600 Holley"..........
Old 04-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Inactive User

well ill disagree with that statement holleys meter fuel as good if not better then others without mechanical moving parts. 600 carb were mostly made delibratly for production cars and usally are clibrated for something different for what they were atemted to be used on. its the typical GAUSH ITS A HOLLEY THOSE ARE MADE FOR HOTRODS UUUH THIS ONE STINKS ALL MY BUDDYS SAY THEY SUCK SO THEY MUST!!!!!!!!.if they were so crapy metering fuel mopars would have never come from the factory with them oh ya and ford and gm also.ford put them on millions of dark day smog vehicles like trucks and 5.0 mustangs so in my opion that blows your scared of holleys ability to meter fuel properly right out of the water.TMO
Old 04-08-2009, 08:04 AM
Inactive User

oh ya sorry 340t/a 650 would be good pretty much any brand you pick
Old 04-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Inactive User

Well i loved my TQ until the throttle shafts got so bad i had to replace it.

Tried an AVS but was missing something in the carb and would flood out Turning Left or Right......can't remember now.

Ran a comp AFB and bout the strip kit for it..........worked good but didn't have the throttle response of the TQ

Ran a vac secondary 750 and a 650 double pumper(these were borrowed carbs that i didn't tune) ran OK........but no ET improvement.

Installed a 600 CFM Holley of a Factory 383 (list 6160)and got back the throttle response of my TQ, and better 60' times.

I have tried a 850 Demon carb and a BG carb(can't remember the CFM but keep going back to the 600, Factory carb.

I still have the 850 Demon that will go on my stroker..............But i will start out with the 600 first.

I just can't say enough good about that carb!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Whats scary is when I hear "600 Holley"..........
TK, whats so "scary" about a 600????????????????????/
Old 04-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Banned

Feed tubes.......

You know, that cheap 600 vac sec carb?

Quote:
well ill disagree with that statement holleys meter fuel as good if not better then others without mechanical moving parts. 600 carb were mostly made delibratly for production cars and usally are clibrated for something different for what they were atemted to be used on. its the typical GAUSH ITS A HOLLEY THOSE ARE MADE FOR HOTRODS UUUH THIS ONE STINKS ALL MY BUDDYS SAY THEY SUCK SO THEY MUST!!!!!!!!.if they were so crapy metering fuel mopars would have never come from the factory with them oh ya and ford and gm also.ford put them on millions of dark day smog vehicles like trucks and 5.0 mustangs so in my opion that blows your scared of holleys ability to meter fuel properly right out of the water.TMO
Yep, smogger Fords ran SOOOO CLEAN..................

No, I am not scared of holleys, I actually like Holleys, but they cannot, by design, meter fuel as well as a metering rod carb. Nope, cant, will not. A simple tailpipe sniffer will prove it.

The guys that think they can, have not had a properly tuned metering rod carb, INCLUDING the Q-jet.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Ran a comp AFB and bout the strip kit for it..........worked good but didn't have the throttle response of the TQ
Weight the doors..........
Old 04-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Banned

Biggrin

always lil things like leaks and people bad mouth'em
I guess they think slant 6's suck as well.............no.

cleaner???? I'll stick w/12.5 wot.......

Holley carburetors are the most tunable carb out there besides original webber, sorry eddelbrock guy's.....hmmm hmmmm

Others shared there opinions so imo.

Meter rod carburetors are so much better that they don't run them in nascar or even top fuel except where rules mandate like G/stock and dominate by means of cfm more than anything else to do with the carburetor.

Thermoquads are better then any other factory carburetor,except holley's, though If I HAD to choose between thermo/holley spreadbore, I'd take the thermo.

airbleeds
shooters
diff metering blocks w/ various calibrations.
pump cams
power valves
vac or mech secondarys
more cfm ratings then you can shake a stick at
And did I mention a booster in every corner..............

How do you like your booster?
down? straight? annular maybe.........?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK View Post
Feed tubes.......

You know, that cheap 600 vac sec carb?

Yep, smogger Fords ran SOOOO CLEAN..................

No, I am not scared of holleys, I actually like Holleys, but they cannot, by design, meter fuel as well as a metering rod carb. Nope, cant, will not. A simple tailpipe sniffer will prove it.

The guys that think they can, have not had a properly tuned metering rod carb, INCLUDING the Q-jet.
YA AND YOUR THE BOMB COMPARED TO AL THOSE MILLION DOLLAR ENGINEIERS THAT WORK FOR THE BIG 3 AS WELL AS HOLLEY. what the heck ever gotta love those brass tubes in the secondaries those mix and meteer the fuel soooooo well quadrajet huhhhhh how about a sewer pipe in the secondaries. smog ford in the 70s and 80s they must have been clean to pass california smog. just admit it your dad loved them so y dont you. dont be such a rebel. if i was stuck running stock i would enjoy the challenge of tuning on a thermo. and no doubt they probly get better mileledge watch it on a graf go rich lean wacko as you aproach wide open secondaries.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Inactive User

Oh great, its Carb Wars again! lol. Yes, the 650 (any kind!!!) cfm carb will work fine on a stock 340.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by valiant64 View Post
Oh great, its Carb Wars again! lol. Yes, the 650 (any kind!!!) cfm carb will work fine on a stock 340.
Yes, the two CarB GenIUSes HAVE SPOKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe.

Quote:
always lil things like leaks and people bad mouth'em
I guess they think slant 6's suck as well.............no.
Yep, nothing better than a leaky carb on top of your hot motor.... hey, that was YOUR reason, not mine. And no, slants don't "suck", how many engines can you name with 2 bottom end, 2 midrange, and 2 top end cylinders?

Quote:
cleaner???? I'll stick w/12.5 wot.......
No one ever argued a holley isn't for high power apps..... And if you like to tune your street cars for high power only..... LOL Well, I put 30-40K on my truck a year, I don't wanna mess with it! (Like Holley guys do) O, wait, the guys that do don't know what fine tuning is.......

Quote:
Holley carburetors are the most tunable carb out there besides original webber, sorry eddelbrock guy's.....hmmm hmmmm
Easy, not most.........

Quote:
Meter rod carburetors are so much better that they don't run them in nascar or even top fuel except where rules mandate like G/stock and dominate by means of cfm more than anything else to do with the carburetor.
How much have you had to drink tonight? Top fuel?

Quote:
Thermoquads are better then any other factory carburetor,except holley's, though If I HAD to choose between thermo/holley spreadbore, I'd take the thermo.
They ARE good carbs...... And work ALMOST like a AVS, AFB..... dwc would be proud of you. (Now, are you going to argue with me and tell me a T-Quad isn't a vac sec carb or something?)

Quote:
airbleeds
shooters
pump cams
power valves
vac or mech secondarys
Impressive.......

But I think I would not mention the power valves, LOL.

Quote:
How do you like your booster?
down? straight? annular maybe.........?
Annular discharge all the way....... If I was going to choose.

Quote:
YA AND YOUR THE BOMB COMPARED TO AL THOSE MILLION DOLLAR ENGINEIERS THAT WORK FOR THE BIG 3 AS WELL AS HOLLEY.
Hoooo boy! He is already yelling at me! Sweet! I love internet thug!

Quote:
what the heck ever gotta love those brass tubes in the secondaries those mix and meteer the fuel soooooo well
I don't speak jigaboo, but I think your lost........... (The fuel tube, with the Oring on it, that feeds the bowl?) Thats what the cheap holleys run, and your beloved Fords.

Quote:
quadrajet huhhhhh how about a sewer pipe in the secondaries.
I feel 10 points dumber after reading this......

Quote:
smog ford in the 70s and 80s they must have been clean to pass california smog.
Yep, clean, efficient, them things were the benchmark in well tuned. God, I remember how sweet the 400M's ran, and good MPG too!

Quote:
just admit it your dad loved them so y dont you.
Dad wasn't that dumb. he was a small journal chev/olds/buick/caddy guy.

Quote:
if i was stuck running stock i would enjoy the challenge of tuning on a thermo. and no doubt they probly get better mileledge watch it on a graf go rich lean wacko as you aproach wide open secondaries.
Don't bother, by the sounds of your post, you better stick with Holleys. And, if ANY carb isn't going to go WACKO and the "Giraffe" , It would be a metering rod carb, with Mech secs with the vacuum door.

Passing you, and 4 eyes, I am truly impressed with your knowledge of carburetors! You guys have nothing left to learn! I hope my understanding of them comes halfway to yours before I die....... You guys were great, good entertainment after a day of putting fence posts in the ground!

Hey, in the future, PY, you should end your posts with, "welcome, anytime". And a after.

Im gonna go drive my sweet running 390, with small port heads, and performer 750.......... No dead spots, and plenty of TQ...... Ahhhh...
Old 04-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
They ARE good carbs...... And work ALMOST like a AVS, AFB..... dwc would be proud of you. (Now, are you going to argue with me and tell me a T-Quad isn't a vac sec carb or something?)
They are a vac secondary, and so is AFB and AVS!
AVS and TQ us a spring.....Just like a Vac sec Holley.

and the 600 Holley scary, i thing i figured out what your taking about...I thing........

any ways, i converted my fuel tube to duel feed bowls and line.
It don't look like a 600 Holley, but it is.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Inactive User

Im going with a TQ this time. Bought one off ebay and shipped it to demonsizzler.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:18 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
airbleeds
shooters
pump cams
power valves
vac or mech secondarys
Now now passing you, lets compare apples to apples as best we can.

Did Holleys come stock with adjustable/removeable air bleeds?

AFB's have a booster in every corner, but the spray bars...now that is a trick if you ask me. Give up on something to gain something. Lost a booster and what it does for a few more cfm's.
At wide open throttle, it's not a huge issue.
Anybody ever get a good look at the modified Carter for Pontiac racing? 3 bbl. Holley had one as well. Just an interesting (stray) thought.

OH, fellas, you do all remember the T-Q was design as a race carb first, right?

Quote:
VS? Hummmmmmm OH yes, Velocity secondary. Yea yea yea.

My question is, where the Holleys that came stock so super tuneable?
Were these super tuning parts available back in the 60's.
How many parts are needed to super tune a Holley?
Old 04-09-2009, 02:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I was referring to a member that got canned here a while back. We went into a four page argument, "Rumble remembers" that a T-Quad WAS a mechanical sec.........

The argumentative poster, in this thread, reminded me of the canned argumentative poster a while back.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Inactive User

ok tk you win ive been humbled ive got a couple holleys to sell and one to give back youve showed how smart you are so im going to say thanks to 340t/a for allowing you to be a big ejamakater i need a thermo boog i mean thermoquad sorry smart guy. j/k
Old 04-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

ejamakater???

HUH?????? LOL!

OH, that other guy TK mentions.... Good fella I thinks, narrow minded for sure.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Banned

Wow TK I hurt your feeling's

So much for even opinions with you, I see your done learning in life.

Wasn't even attacking you and u start on.

What happens when you open the butterfly's all the way on a thermo quad??
You don't know squat about carburetors.

ASPEN your an ........ just for joining in, you could of answered the org. post but instead you added gasoline to the fire.

That entertaining?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Banned

Such a long winded post that says nothing.....
Old 04-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Banned

OH and TK I'll be passing you with my sweet running 344 with it's glorious X heads and 750 holley.lol

be a sport......
Old 04-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Banned

Rumble, no not all and not production but you could drill them out and at least buy replacements, do they sell replacement air bleeds for thermo? or do you guys still use paper clips when putting some 'camshaft' in yer motor?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Banned

and a few more cfm's????????

I'll buy the bigger carburetor with the bitchin boosters that mix fuel better thank you ha ha ha aha ahha ha.......... & ha again.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Banned

to the original poster, again 650cfm is fine for a 340 stock or mild.

Don't mind any of this other crud.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Inactive User

Me, I'm going to look for one of those vacuum secondary Thermo quads or AVS's. They must be as rare as hen's teeth. Mine still have the link rods to the secondary throttle shafts and a sprung air door that operates on air FLOW. lol.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Banned

A thermoquad, AVS, AFB, Q-JET, are all vacuum operated....... unless you want to consider them Air velocity operated, but in that case, it takes vacuum to move the air.
If you simply lock out the top door, you can hold it wide open all day, and still be running off of 2bbls.
A mechanical sec carb, has no vacuum/velocity operated top door.

Quote:
So much for even opinions with you, I see your done learning in life.
LOL, I learn from people, but nothing yet from you. Your advice is magazine perfect, and the fine points you miss, the ones that make the difference, you leave out. That means you either never done it, or missed it when you did. Here nor there... I don't care, I just wanted to see how many different posts you would make in a row.

Quote:
Wasn't even attacking you and u start on.
Ho hum.......

Quote:
What happens when you open the butterfly's all the way on a thermo quad??
You don't know squat about carburetors.
Uhm........ It changes into a sewer pipe? I don't huh? Tell me, master Yoda, the great secret.......

Quote:
ASPEN your an ........ just for joining in, you could of answered the org. post but instead you added gasoline to the fire.
Sticks and stones love....... Just don't be a chickenshit, come out and say what you meant, no need to leave it blank.

Quote:
That entertaining?
You make my day!

Quote:
Such a long winded post that says nothing.....
I know, why did you write it?

Quote:
OH and TK I'll be passing you with my sweet running 344 with it's glorious X heads and 750 holley.lol

be a sport......
OK, I'll be a sport, but I got a 308 head solid roller 318 here...... (Or 321, as you guys with inch envy have to call them) It wont pass anything, yet, the car is in pieces. (And it has a 750 Holley too........) Maybe I should put a performer on it instead.

Quote:
Rumble, no not all and not production but you could drill them out and at least buy replacements, do they sell replacement air bleeds for thermo? or do you guys still use paper clips when putting some 'camshaft' in yer motor?
well, at least you are honest..... But be careful, Rumble will make your life hell here if you get smart with him, and most of us will "Add fuel to the fire"....... I, at least, go away and don't hold the last post over onto a new post. Well, until things get good.)

Quote:
to the original poster, again 650cfm is fine for a 340 stock or mild.

Don't mind any of this other crud.
Yepper, a 650 is perfect, you go that right. As far as the crud, you brought up slant sixes....
Old 04-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
ok tk you win ive been humbled ive got a couple holleys to sell and one to give back youve showed how smart you are so im going to say thanks to 340t/a for allowing you to be a big ejamakater i need a thermo boog i mean thermoquad sorry smart guy. j/k
You must be passing you's retarded uncles son.........
Old 04-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Inactive User

Actually TK, you can take the air door completely off of an AFB or AVS for big cam superstock apllications any it will work VERY well! But that is another direction altogether than this thread requires.