Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-17-2000, 05:38 AM
Inactive User

Question

I just installed a K&N GenII air intake and some Mopar Performance 7.5mm HP plug wires on my '99 Dakota 5.2L 4x4 Club Cab SLT. It also has a 3" Dynomax cat-back exhaust system I installed 6 mo. ago. My question is this: Will the computer adjust to these changes automatically? Or is there another step I need to take? I've heard about re-setting the computer after adding modifications but I'm not sure how necessary it is or the correct way to do it. Any help on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2000, 01:05 AM
Intense Blue Member

K&N recommends re-setting the PCM. To do this, disconnect the negative battery cable and leave it off for 20 minutes. There is a condensor in the PCM which will store a little power, so it takes a few minutes.

I didn't reset after minor mods like plugs or wires, but for the TB, PCM ( obviously ), and intake I did. It takes a little time for the PCM to adjust. Most report several days.
Old 10-18-2000, 02:43 AM
Inactive User

dude,

thats very true what Fluid explained. take off the negative side of the battery. i don't know about 20 minutes though. maybe a coupl would do. then tighten it up. you might see a difference right away or you might not. either way after 40 or 30 miles the PCM will adjust to your mods. hope that helps.

MORE POWER TO DODGE
Thanks
Scotty

Quote:
Originally posted by SKIDAKV8:
I just installed a K&N GenII air intake and some Mopar Performance 7.5mm HP plug wires on my '99 Dakota 5.2L 4x4 Club Cab SLT. It also has a 3" Dynomax cat-back exhaust system I installed 6 mo. ago. My question is this: Will the computer adjust to these changes automatically? Or is there another step I need to take? I've heard about re-setting the computer after adding modifications but I'm not sure how necessary it is or the correct way to do it. Any help on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks.