Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Inactive User

Default Ignition control issue

My FBO controller seems to dislike engine temps above 200. It dies, then after cooling some, lights up again.
I have changed the FBO coil to a MSD Blaster2, after the FBO coil leaked it's oil out.
What control unit would you guru's recomend for that coil? I'm guessing chrome.
Engine is still very tight, and climbing hills heats it up to around 208 degrees.
Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Banned

chrome box if going that route.

I wonder if the fbo box would still work with the right 'fbo' coil?
Old 04-13-2009, 10:44 AM

I would maintain the FBO ECU. I would also call Don and complain about the coil.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Inactive User

Default Been there

Did that, Ed.
Don seems to have a problem keeping communications in order. Each answer from me gets no response, or has no record of my original questions. So far, the FBO distributor pickup has failed (open), the FBO coil has failed and now the ECU has failed twice, only to recover after cooling.
As you see, the whole FBO system was intact, and failed. I put the Blaster coil in, since Don could not seem to keep a record of my issues for response to me. His answer was always "what are you refering to?". In frustration, I put in the MSD coil and resistor.
Thanks for the concern, and it looks like a chrome box will handle the situation.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:23 PM

Wow... I thought better of Don, than that. I was thinking of sending him my MOPAR Performance distributor and my Jacobs system and having him phase the distributor. Now I wonder if that is such a good idea.

I would at least contact him and try to get a refund. It doesn't hurt to ask...
Old 04-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Inactive User

Default It gets better

From the get go, this deal was troubling. First, FBO sent my ignition package to Pennsylvania, and sent me Penn's. System. I recognized the wrong parts he sent me, which were for a big block. I mailed the system to the guy in Penn. at my cost.
I called Don, he said he'd call the other guy and have him ship my system to me. After waiting a week, I called Don asking where my system was. Don called back saying the guy had not shipped it. Six weeks later, no system, so I called Don again, and asked for my money back. Don said he would charge the other guy for my system and send me a new one. Two weeks later, no system. Called Don again, he said the guy finally mailed it, and I got it a week later.
The communication thing is poor at best. Don apparently does not file emails/letters/call records by customer name. After my initial email, I got one returned email asking me to measure the pickup coil resistance, which I did, and hit the "reply" icon to answer. I got no answer for three days, emailed again, and his reply was something like "what are you talking about?".
I woud not purchase anything from FBO again, for sure. I'm pretty disappointed, both quality and service wise!
Old 04-17-2009, 01:01 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation As I understand it.........

Mopar started electronic ignition. You can even run a points distributor with the ECU's they are so bullet proof. If you are having these problems, then you are dealing with inferior parts. I've heard nothing but praise about Don but no dealings with his parts though I've considered it. Customer service sounds about a 2 out of 10. At least he talk's to you. But that don't help. If he won't give you satisfaction, then replace the crap he sent you and tell everyone what happen. If it is the truth, it only hurts him. I would think he would send you anything you want to stop all this bad PR.
I personally have gone from considering him for some work to thinking it would be money lost.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Inactive User

Default Hear that

I have replaced all Don's stuff. The only remaining part is my distributor, which he curved and installed a pickup into. I talked to a guy at Mopars at the Strip last year, who claims that he does Don's distributor work. Since the pickup coil also failed, it too is replaced now. Hope the weights don't fall out or something!
I have installed a Mopar chrome box, and look forward to happier times!
Old 04-17-2009, 07:27 PM

Hey Tarr, I used to hear nothing but good about Don. Over the last year, I have noticed more and more complaints about Don.. He has become very disorganized. His products have become inferior (maybe he went with a cheaper supplier). The fresh engines that he has been selling aren't that great and require rebuilds. He has also been missing a lot of racing events.

I think other issues have come up and he is not completely in the game, any more. That, or his ego has gotten the best of him.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Inactive User

I love my chrome box running a MSD Blaster2 coil & MP dizzy.hope u have better lock w/it then u did the FBO/