Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Inactive User

Default Front end advice

I need to replace one of the cam bolts on my 72 Charger (stripped threads)Will I need to remove the torsion bar on that side or can I just releive the tension? I have rebuilt many B/E body frt ends but always as a whole not just one part.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:13 AM
Inactive User

By cam bolts, I'm assuming you mean the eccentrics on the upper control arms.

No need to do anything with the torsion bars.

Seperate the spindle from the upper a arm at the upper ball joint. There will be some stress on it, but it will only move a bit, when you first seperate it. The shock will stop it from going any further.

Should work, unless the shock is in the way or something, and you need to take it out to slide the bolts out.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:15 PM

With the weight of the car being supported by the lower control arm there isn't much pressure on the upper control arm, I would simply remove the nut from the eccentric and use a bolt of the same diameter/length to drive the eccentric out, this will act as a pilot to keep the holes in alignment. Drive the new eccentric in and it will push the bolt out.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the help Dave/John grt tip on useing a bolt to keep it lined up. Dave would it be ok to unbolt the lower ball joint via the 2 sideways bolts instead? I dont want to chew up the boot on the upper joint.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerbear View Post
Thanks for the help Dave/John grt tip on useing a bolt to keep it lined up. Dave would it be ok to unbolt the lower ball joint via the 2 sideways bolts instead? I dont want to chew up the boot on the upper joint.
Just loosen the ball joint nut and whack the spindle on the side with a hammer where the ball joint stud is. It should easily pop loose. Thats the only way I do it, tie rods too. Just used that method on my 65 Cuda pitman arm.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:45 PM

Once again, if the weight of the car is resting on the lower control arm there is no need to disconnect the spindle.

Jack the car and rest the lower control arm on a jack stand, remove the tire, remove eccentric nut and drive out the damaged eccentric. (the other eccentric and nut will keep the upper control arm in position)

Reverse order to install.