Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-17-2000, 05:20 PM

would the stage I heads from hughes be a real problem with emissions??? Looking for more power, and this seems to be the next step. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-17-2000, 06:36 PM
Self proclaimed expert

The heads shouldn't affect emissions since you aren't changing computer, fuel, timing or exhaust. I'm no expert on emissions, but I don't see how it would have a big effect.
Old 10-19-2000, 04:33 AM
Inactive User

If your talking passing an emissions test, it is unlikely you would pass one. The factory heads are designed with a very specific design to swirl the air and fuel and mix it fully. If you just mean normall everyday drivability, you probably notice no difference, except for more power (assuming other mods have been/ will be made, exhaust, cam, pcm, T.B. etc.)

------------------
If all else fails, use a bigger hammer.

99 Intense Blue Dakota 4wd CC 5.2
ASE master, Daimler/Chrysler Gold Certified Auto Mechanic
Old 10-19-2000, 02:47 PM
Self proclaimed expert

The hughes STAGE1 heads are factory heads with a port job and bigger valves and some bowl work. They will flow more air, but shouldn't change the emissions since they are the same heads that came on the engine. However, Yamarocket does bring up a good point. You are changing the stock setup even if you aren't changing the actual part. Contact Hughes and ask them. I should have told you that first though. Sorry to ramble on about things I'm unsure of.
http://www.hughesengines.com/

Voice:
(309) 745-9558
Fax:
(708) 401-0477
Old 10-19-2000, 06:14 PM

If the valves are bigger, you most likely will not pass emissions. I would suggest having a quality 3 angle valve job along with a bowl clean-up done on the heads you have now. It won't be a huge power gain, but it should be pretty nice and emissions legal. However, this is just my opinion and it would really help to hear from anyone who already has done this mod.

------------------
94 Dakota Sport 5.2L, Magnum Performance Super Karbine 250 throttle body, 3.90 auburn LSD, K+N X-stream filtercharger, MSD 6A, Blaster Coil II, Taylor wires, MP Computer, Pacesettter headers, Dynomax supercat, Flowmaster 50, Crower 1.7 rockers, Lakewood traction bars, Hellwig sway bar, Transgo shift kit, MP valve covers, Firestone Firehawks SS20
Old 10-20-2000, 03:12 AM
Slingn mud & burnin tires

My guess would be that you shouldn't have any problems. It doesnt seem that way if you look at things on paper, i.e. bigger valves, bigger cams make more power by adding more fuel. Unless you go way radical, I don't think you will have a problem. Take a look at some of the verified tests from some DML'ers. I know Rich W in VA passed with flying colors after a Hughes HER016 cam and MPI intake, he is now preparing for headwork.

As yall know I recently went with heads and cam, I will try and get my truck on the sniffer at work. Although I'll probably wait till I get some cats on there... I'd like to do it before AND after putting cats back on...

I say go for it, just keep her tuned up and make sure to blow the carbon out before you have it tested.

------------------
Jon Smith
Cary, NC
educating the stupid, one kill at a time (quoteth Chuck)
www.fast4x4.net