Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Inactive User

Default sluggish reaction?

ive got a built up 400 in my newport, and have just started to get it back on the road from sitting all winter. its been driving good the last couple days. a little sluggish reaction when cold when getting on it. but today i drove it to work and when i left this afternoon, it was really acting up it was really sluggish and seemed like it was gonna stall if pushed to hard. and it has a different tone in the sound of the engine when in 3rd gear and gently stepping into it. i dont know if its getting to much fuel or to little, its got a 750 holley dp on it, witch was doing just fine all last year and so far till now this year so i know its not too small of a carb for what im doing. i know im gonna have to retune it but am hesitant to do it, cause i dont want to make it worse.

any ideas guys?
thanks
Old 04-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Inactive User

Default My first test would be a .........

Stall test. Brake torque the converter to see if it let's the engine rev from idle. If your getting 2000 rpm with the brakes locked on pavement, it is most likely okay. Then I'd look for vacume leaks around the engine. A spray bottle of water or some WD40 will help with that. If the engine idle's up when your spraying, you have a leak at that point.
Good luck.