Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Inactive User

Default Line lock

I've searched older posts and have found one reference to what I'm looking to do here.

Diagrams in the Line Lock instructions show the lock itself installed after the proportioning block. My car does not have a proportioning block, it's a '67 Belvedere with drums all around. The block it does have is just a switch and distribution mechanism, with one line in for rears, one line out for rears, one line in for fronts and two lines out for fronts.

The block is internally sectioned with a piston in the middle that senses pressure on each side, front and rear, and when one overpowers the other the piston will slide until it contacts a switch (apparently it grounds the switch) and that will turn on the light on the dash.

With two lines out for the front, I'd rather not rig up a 2-into-1-into-solenoid-back-into-2 system to plumb in the line lock there. If the lock's installed between the master cylinder and the safety switch block, I can see that it should slide the piston and light the light when I take my foot off the brake, but I can't tell if it will bleed pressure to the rear brakes or maybe over time blow out an internal o-ring from bottoming out the piston.

Anyone else have an originally all-drum system with no proportioning valve, just the safety/distribution block, and use a line loc on it?

B II
Old 06-03-2009, 04:37 PM

Assuming you have an automatic trans, you can install the Line Lock in the single line to the rear brakes but you will have to operate it differently. Instead of applying the brakes and energizing the Line Lock to hold pressure in the front brakes you would energize the Line-Loc before applying the brakes and hold brake pressure in the fronts with your left foot on the pedal.

This way the distribution block sees full system pressure and won't displace the warning light piston but accomplishes what you want to do.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Inactive User

Line lock

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've searched older posts and have found one reference to what I'm looking to do here.

Diagrams in the Line Lock instructions show the lock itself installed after the proportioning block. My car does not have a proportioning block, it's a '67 Belvedere with drums all around. The block it does have is just a switch and distribution mechanism, with one line in for rears, one line out for rears, one line in for fronts and two lines out for fronts.

The block is internally sectioned with a piston in the middle that senses pressure on each side, front and rear, and when one overpowers the other the piston will slide until it contacts a switch (apparently it grounds the switch) and that will turn on the light on the dash.

With two lines out for the front, I'd rather not rig up a 2-into-1-into-solenoid-back-into-2 system to plumb in the line lock there. If the lock's installed between the master cylinder and the safety switch block, I can see that it should slide the piston and light the light when I take my foot off the brake, but I can't tell if it will bleed pressure to the rear brakes or maybe over time blow out an internal o-ring from bottoming out the piston.

Anyone else have an originally all-drum system with no proportioning valve, just the safety/distribution block, and use a line loc on it? (end quote)

Some lineloc's have multi ports for this very reason I believe.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:37 AM
Inactive User

I tried doingthe line loc in the rear line, doesnt work at all, pedal is rock hard if I hit the line loc first.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Inactive User

Grabbed a front brake line off of a 74 Ramcharger and cut into it for a front brake install. Went in fine, took a little while to get fluid through it all but it holds the front brakes. With a light press of the brake and holding it won't always set off the brake light, but a heavy press of the brake will light it up every time. I bought the line loc, a TCI, new in '92 or '93 and it sat around until yesterday. It didn't make any clicking sound when I touched the wires to the battery, so I was worried it was kaput, but it seems to work.

I've got an Autometer digital tach with shift light, it's set up to take a signal from a trans brake switch or lineloc switch in order to toggle from "staging rpm" mode to "shifting rpm" mode, and that worked as well provided I did things in the proper order.

I've found another diagram that shows the recommended way is to plug either the front right or front left outlet port in the safety switch block, and plumb from the other one through the lineloc to a "Tee" for front right and left. That's a little simpler than what I first thought is recommended.

B II