Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Inactive User

Default Big Block Distributer

I currently run Mopar Performance Electronic ignition on my 440 . Stock work engine , headers , intake runs 2750 - 3000 RPM on the highway 90 percent of the time . I was thinking of trying the MSD , or the DUI , or maybe something else . So which one gets the most attention these days ?
Old 06-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Inactive User

If you don't have high compression or run engine at high RPMs you don't need a capacitor type ignition, its overkill for truly street driven cars.
Maximize the distributor you have by playing with the mechanical and vacuum advance systems for better drivability and performance.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

What he said and I like the MSD 6 box added on for enhanced mileage, though big blocks do not get any. It does start quicker and run smoother in the low RPM ranges. Theres no real big gain over the stock chrome box at all. Just better down low.

The stock distrib. is a fine unit and if the vacuum advance is adjustable, mess with it until you get where you need to be.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:23 PM

As has been stated above, there is no real need to make that major of a jump. I run the MOPAR Performance unit on my 440. I did get rid of the orange box and use a Jacobs Ignition Pro Street module. It has the correct pickups for the MOPAR electronic distributor. It does make starting easier and the idle isn't as rich. Throttle response is also better.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:11 AM
Inactive User

I went from an orange box and Mopar distributor to an MSD distributor and MSD 6AL box on my 496, and noticed a significant improvement in engine performance. I highly recommend this change.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Cuda Bob, that is a great change to make and while there is a serious difference in the feel and ET I'm sure, the Orange box is just a warmed up stock unit. I'd rather just call it a stock unit myself. LOL

A MSD box triggereing the OE distributor is very good, but, an adjustable MP unit (Vacuum advance pod) about all most ever will need. Of course this is build and purpose dependent.

The above mentioned Jacobs unit I have used before and it is a killer unit. IMO, much better than the MSD. Of which I have had several of and no longer ever want to use again.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Inactive User

Can you get me more info on that Jacobs Module? Im intrigued.. lol
Old 06-17-2009, 07:55 PM

cudabob - I would hope that you would see a big difference. Your 496 is setup with higher compression, and a larger cam.

He is running a stock 440 for daily driving. The improvement will be minor.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampage_82 View Post
Can you get me more info on that Jacobs Module? Im intrigued.. lol
The past few years have not been kind to Jacob's Electronics. A few years back, Dr. Jacobs sold the company. The company that bought it went with cheap suppliers and parts. After it became failure prone, they sold it off to Accell. Accell is absorbing the technology into their existing product line.

Like MSD, the Jabob's setup was/is a CD system. MSD uses a programed multispark system. MSD has decided that you should spark each plug so many times, based on RPM. Jacobs adjusts the voltage of the spark based on demand. When it sees that you are accelerating, it increases the voltage. Once you level off, the voltage is decreased. These voltage levels are programmed. The multispark portion uses voltage differential. The brain is measuring the differential with each spark. The more fuel that is in the chamber, the less resistance. The less fuel, the more resistance. It uses this determine the number of sparks for each plug. The Jacob's coil is also more efficient than the MSD coil.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Inactive User

yeah we've used Jacobs stuff in the past, and have really liked them, but I thought by a Module, they were making something like a Mopar style orange box, or a Chebby HEI style module something easily hidden and small... sorry about my confusion...
Old 06-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Inactive User

Funny the Msd Distributor Bob Has A Mopar Style Pickup/ Reluctor, The Distributor Just Tirgger the Box, I tested the Chrome Box For Dc against a Old MSD 5 c.The Chrome Box was Faster.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehostler View Post
cudabob - I would hope that you would see a big difference. Your 496 is setup with higher compression, and a larger cam.

He is running a stock 440 for daily driving. The improvement will be minor.
I bow to your experience!
Old 06-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Inactive User

If your stock ignition, and dist are properly tuned for your setup, you will see NO performance gains.
What sucks about the MP dist is how much Mech advance is built into them from the factory, not sure about the Mopar Performance Dist, But Im betting they arent a whole bunch better.
I have checked more than a few over the years, and found them to have atleast 22 deg and as much as 28 deg mech advance. This really sucks if you have a hot cam with some duration. This means trying to get your old MP 509 cam to idle on 10 deg initial timing, it just burns your eyes.

I have always mig'd up the advance slots to get the mech advance down some. Its nice to have 18-20 initial timing, and then limit mech advance to give you 34-38 deg total.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Inactive User

Old 06-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Inactive User

Well I do believe I will have a look at the Jacobs ignition box . I had seen it some time ago , but I thought it was just an MSD clone .

As far as starting , I found the orange box Mopar Performance kit to be really good in this area . I did run into trouble when I changed out the Thermoquad , but that was just heat soak . With the Thermoquad , the starter would hardly engage and the engine would be running .

Sounds like the DUI is not getting much attention here . The clearance issue might be the big thing . I'm not even sure I have room for it .