Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Inactive User

Default Edelbrock issues

I put a new Edelbrock 600 on my 360 Dart, it replaced a older leaking Holley 650. 5 months ago it was put on and ran great, Idled good, acceleration was great, big improvement over old Holley.

The last couple of weeks when I start it up cold, it starts up easy, but seems to be a little rich. When it's warmed up, and I try to restart it's hard starting, and seems flooded, black smoke and such. I'ts only a problem at warm restart, and idling. Otherwise it runs great.

Any answers? thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Inactive User

Prolly the gas got old and varnished up the carb. Try running out the old gas and run new gas through it. It might clear up after a while. If it doesn`t, you`ll have to take it apart for a cleaning.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:10 PM

With the engine warm and idling, remove the air cleaner and look straight down both throttle bores with a flashlight. If you see fuel dripping from the boosters that's your problem. If you don't see fuel dripping when idling, shut off the motor and have another look...you might find fuel dripping after it sits for awhile.

It acts like it's flooded because it is.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Inactive User

Try these two things for the carb first.
Take out idle screws and spray some carb cleaner in the holes, put idle screws back in, adjust for best idle with vac gauge.
Second, have car idling and use some needle-nose or actual hose pliers pinch off fuel line. Wait for about 10-15 seconds or right when engine sounds funny and release pliers, this will let full fuel pressure blast any gunk off seats and needles.
One last thing, did you use Edelbrocks heat insulating base gasket? Your problem sounds like fuel percolation. Did you block off the heat riser holes?
If not do so.
Todays gas does not have the anti-percolation stuff in it anymore because fuel injection doesn't need it.
Everytime I don't drive my 69 440 Charger for 5-7 days, carb has no gas in it.
Carb is not leaking, gas is evaporating out of it. I just pour 2oz gas down carb, install air cleaner and its starts right up. It might die sometimes but by then fuelpump has got fuel in carb, a couple of pumps, fires right back up!
Drive car every 2 to 3 days no problem.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kunkel View Post
With the engine warm and idling, remove the air cleaner and look straight down both throttle bores with a flashlight. If you see fuel dripping from the boosters that's your problem.

It acts like it's flooded because it is.
And if fuel is dripping, from the booster, what is the cause?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:17 PM
Banned

Yeah really....

Make sure the float level isn't too high.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

bump!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Inactive User

Sorry about not responding sooner but I got tied up yesterday. I checked fuel line and followed back from carb and found out that the guy who set carb left old inline fuel filter intact before fuel pump and hooked new one up top by carb. Could this be an issue? Also it seems fuel line runs fairly close to header.

Could excessive fuel pressure be problem, it has standard mechanical fuel pump.

I have not had chance to drive car and check for leaking boosters as John suggested. I will have chance to drive car again, on thursday and check that. The funny thing is that there were no issues until about a month ago.

Thanks for all the input, Scott
Old 06-25-2009, 12:02 AM

Be safe and use a mirror to look down the carb when it is running. All my Carters boiled the fuel out, 'cept the TQ. Carters like 5psi.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Inactive User

do you got manual or electric choke? check your adjustments, maybe it doesn´t open fully. you can find printable manual from edelbrock website.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Inactive User

It has electric choke. It starts up easy when it's cold, but lays out black smoke when starting. There's no dripping from boosters when warmed up and idling or when sitting for awhile, seems nice and dry.

I'm wondering if carb was not set up right and is just set too rich, what do you think? Thanks
Old 06-29-2009, 03:28 AM
Inactive User

if carb came from a factory box, it should be pretty well tuned as it is. you wrote you had no problems few months back, did you have colder weather then? i got 750 edelbrock and 627 carter, i have to adjust my choke and settings for winter and summer conditions. i would do these following easy things before any major operations. check that your choke flap opens fully when engine is warm. when eng is warm, take off your aircleaner and have a look-see. you could try to start and run engine without aircleaner and see if it makes any difference. also make sure you got power coming to your electric choke and that it´s grounded well, i had some issues few years ago untill i noticed elec.wire was damaged. rotate choke adjustment disc to leaner position if needed. check your airfilter, maybe it´s clogged. you can put some fresh new gas in separate container and run fuel hose before fuel pump to there to see if there´s any change. you can fiddle with idle air screws a bit, but you should memorise how many turns you make in case problem´s not there. also check that your breather and vacuum hoses are connected correctly and functional. you can refer to your owners manual how to tune up your carb. it´s fairly simple. also, to my experience, edelbrock has a good customer service. you could give a call to their tech-help line. number is on their website.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Banned

Ok.
You were looking for power improvements so you bought a diff carb, thing is now it aint running right huh?

Unless you know how to tune and know what yer lookin at to even tell if the old carb was worn out[throttle shafts etc], you will be chasing your tail and spending money to no avail.

What do the plugs look like?
3 out of 3 eddy carbs I've had including the 1406 have been extremely lean.

Unless it won't run when cold, go around the choke for now and try some 100 jets and #73 rods.

But really before anything what's the build consist of? what cam duration?

And precise tuning aside, if the problem started when the weather got warmer..... then you've answered/found the answer to yer problem.....

Keep the filter between the pump and carb, but lose the filter between tank and pump and get the line at least 3-4 inches away from the header tubes.
just for a start.jmo
Old 06-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Inactive User

Carb wasn't bought for performance improvements. Holley was leaking like a sieve, and had no choke, (got to have a choke in Oregon).

Car seems to start easier with air filter off. I have not as of yet pulled fuel filter before pump but will soon (been very busy).

Not sure of the engine improvements, car was built by a couple of owners back. When I have removed filter and possibly re-route fuel lines further away from headers, I will let you know of the results. Thanks again, for everyones advice, Scott
Old 07-01-2009, 12:58 AM
Banned

they sell a choke and gasket kit for a combined total of LESS then an eddy carburetor.jmo