Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:15 PM

Default return of the Holley 4010?

Holy cow, this carb is back? I wonder of Summit bought the rights to the old FoMoCo 4100, er...Holley 4010..wait, its now the Summit Street and Strip carb! The term Boomerang come to mind as the carb would come back to you whenever you sold it!
Old 07-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Inactive User

Default Last night

A guy at a little club cruise said the same thing. It's supposed to be all die cast aluminum, according to him.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Inactive User

They were junk the first time around. Maybe alright for the street but definitly not a racing carb.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Inactive User

These things sucked for everything... Hell I'd rather run my Predator on my daily driver than these damn things... LOL
Old 07-04-2009, 04:24 PM

What kinda problems did you naysayers have with it?
Old 07-04-2009, 09:03 PM

Well, the 3 things that I heard in more than 1 case were the base never sealed because the miriad of intake manifolds out there, and the different dimensions of the carb mounting pad seemed to always cause a vacuum leak due to the spiderweb casting on the bottom as opposed to a flat pad on a 41x0 or Carter-brock. The second was that the secondaries had a tendency to stick open. Dont know why, possible casting clearance problem. And the third was that the venturi cluster contained the acc. pump squirter and you couldnt get them in different sizes, so you had to drill them out. Other than those, I had one but couldnt get it to work myself but it was a swap meet cheapo and I didnt spend any time on it. I would try one again (new or dirt cheap) but they dont come any bigger than 750. I like the all AL casting and the jet access (straight down with the top off, I hear they would still idle just sitting there with the top off with no fuel line attached).
Old 07-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pishta View Post
I hear they would still idle just sitting there with the top off with no fuel line attached).
Just like some of the old Ford's
Old 07-05-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM View Post
Just like some of the old Ford's
Yeah, they are pretty close. I heard Holley bought the rights to those Annular boosters. I think the clusters are compatible too.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pishta View Post
Well, the 3 things that I heard in more than 1 case were the base never sealed because the miriad of intake manifolds out there, and the different dimensions of the carb mounting pad seemed to always cause a vacuum leak due to the spiderweb casting on the bottom as opposed to a flat pad on a 41x0 or Carter-brock.
This is a case where the carb gets the blame for installation errors, you only need to spend a few days on forums like this to see how many boneheads out there are working on cars.

Quote:
The second was that the secondaries had a tendency to stick open. Dont know why, possible casting clearance problem.
Can't believe this, the 4010 has a positive return link between the main throttle lever and the secondary lever, there's no way the secondaries could stick open by themselves.

Quote:
And the third was that the venturi cluster contained the acc. pump squirter and you couldnt get them in different sizes, so you had to drill them out.
Lots of carbs have that design, usually not a problem.

The reason I asked is that I've run a couple of 4010's and had no complaints at all.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Banned

I don't see the luster?
Old 07-05-2009, 09:16 PM

Dont get me wrong, I would have loved to run one. They are light, look nice all polished up and have Annular boosters for a great signal which equates to a nice metering carb, but I couldnt shine mine up, black tarnish, etc. So I sold it. Have not had one since, but after looking into them, I read all the bad press and had a friend who tried to run a new one that didnt like it at all. Maybe they figured it out, but Holley quit making them, and Summit sold them as Show Carbs.