Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Inactive User

Default 500 stroker build newbie questions?

This is my first stroker build, hell my first engine build from the ground up. I have never built the bottom end of a motor and want to ask twice and build once. Any advice will be well appreciated. Last week I picked up a 77' 440 that I would like to drop in my 74' W200 3/4 ton 4x4. Apon tearing it down I found that it is one of the few 440's with the thicker main bearing saddles and support webbings, so why not make my first complete build a stroker. I plan on taking it to the shop to get it tanked, magnafluxed, bored .030 over, honed, lined bored and honed, square decked, and retaped for the larger hemi oil pickup. Probaly have them enlarge the oil galley connected to the lifter galley that feeds the bearings and grind the clearance for the stroker crank as well. The stroker kit I plan on picking up is the one found from 440source with the flat top pistons (I am unable to post link for easy search because this is my second post, but everbody knows who they are). For the top end I planned on picking up the Eddy top end performer rpm power package (intake, 84cc heads, cam) which is ranged from 1500-6500 rpm's and a 800cfm dual feed thunder series AVS. My truck is running dana 60 full floater w/4.10 in rear, dana 44 full floater w/4.09 in front, a divorced 205 t-case and 235/85 trailcutter tires on 16" rims (not shown in pix). This truck will not be a rock crawler or a towing rig. It will be used for the occasional mud race, mud bog, winter storm driving, and the weekend warrior. Now that you got the info, here are most of my questions.

1. Do you think this combo will work and if so what kind of HP, Torque, and comp. ratio am I looking at?
2. Is this too much grunt for the streets? Would this setup be more of a drag engine?
3. Is there better improvements that I should make to this build? (Cam, Intake, Flat vs Dished Pistons, ETC.)
4. Could I run my stock rockers? Any rocker recommendations?
5. Stall recommendations?
6. Would this be a reliable build?
7. Any other improvements I should make to my chassis?
8. Last but not least, any recomendations on a transmission thats already built to handle this kind of power? Or a kit to put in my 727 torqueflite?

Sorry for writing a book but as you can see there are a lot of which I couldn't answer myself. I hope you guys and gals can lend me a hand so I can start calling around and getting a torque monster in the making. Also I will probaly be posting this on the rest of the sites I frequent the most. Thanks, Jamie.

P.S. Why is the big block page blocked? It wouldn't let me post! Is there a reason that there has never been a post in there?
Old 07-05-2009, 04:19 AM

You cannot post on the big block page as it is part of the tech archives. The tech archives are locked. Only a mod can move threads into the archives. Once they are there, they cannot be posted to.

The archives were intended for threads that had lots of great information in them.