Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation 5 speed Richmond install 69 B body mopar

I need to know if anyone has ever installed one of these Richmond Bullet Proof 5 speed transmissions in their Mopar; specifically a B body install. According to measurements the shifter sits 7 plus inches to far back and the body will not allow for that. Also, wondering about any other clearance problems.
If you have any suggestions or comments to this question, please post!! Anything will help.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Inactive User

The shifter will come through the floor right in the middle of the floor pan / torsion bar cross member. If you are running an aftermarket front suspension this really becomes a mute point. Otherwise, the reconstructing / reinforcing of what you cut out is needed. Not a big deal if you have access to the right tools. Go for it!
Old 07-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Inactive User

What about a Tremec? Apparently there are 2 or 3 options for shifter locations with these trannys.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:35 PM

I would guess that he is asking about the Richmond as it is stronger and less expensive.

The Tremec is easier as it can be purchased in a complete kit, from two or three different sources.

Was the tailshaft angle issue ever resolved on the tremec kits?
Old 07-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Inactive User

The issue with the tail shaft angle was with Keisler and they corrected that a long time ago.

The Tremec shows 3 mounting positions but only the back two are viable since the front shifter mechanism has been discontinued and is no longer available. The mid shifter is an optional shifter to the standard. The standard shifter which is located on the back of the tail housing completely interferes with the torsion bar / floor board support. Thus the machining that is needed. The optional mid shifter is a $350.00 upcharge.

I wouldn't discount the strength of the Tremec, it is a tough unit, but I also understand that it is not correct in all applications as people are making incredible power. Technology is a taking over once again.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Richmond. It's a tried and true design back from the Doug Nash days and has been around forever. The super street series is a new design using Nascar inspired technology internals. The cost of the Super Streets is extremely high at 4 grand, just for the transmission, for the Chrysler application. The torgue capacity of the Super Street is rate at 600 ft-lbs. same as the Tremec TKO-600.

Now get this - I've had a few customers put an e-body Tremec, with the offset shifter, into B-Bodies car to relocate the shifter near the drivers seat. It fit's and the shifter position is excellent. See the attached photo.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:07 PM

I didn't recall the Keisler setup needing to have that large of a hole cut in the floor, for the tranny to fit. Maybe I'm thinking of the E-body application. Or is that part of correcting the tailshaft angle?
Old 07-31-2009, 04:11 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehostler View Post
I didn't recall the Keisler setup needing to have that large of a hole cut in the floor, for the tranny to fit. Maybe I'm thinking of the E-body application. Or is that part of correcting the tailshaft angle?
The photo is of an e-body transmission into a B-body car. They took the liberties of cutting the floor up. The engine is setting lower in the chassis. This car has a complete aftermarket suspension and the build is extremely one-off. Big Hemi and all. I will be a neat ride when it's completed.