Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Inactive User

Default Coil or ECU trouble?

Last year I got a coil, distributor and ECU from FBO and it all worked great initially. This year though about every other time I run the car after the it is warmed up and cruising it will just shut off, as if I turned it off. Everything in the car dies, radio tach, etc..Then it will normally just start running again. Only once have I had to re-start it. I initially thought it would be the coil but the car starts easily even when hot. I can not find anything loose anywhere. Also, and I am not sure this is related, it seems to break up a little under very hard acceleration. I like to take the car to the track a few times every year and don't want to until I get this figured out. The car is a 68 Satellite, 440 with 509 cam and Demon 750 (also from FBO). Thanks for any opinions.

I just read my post. I am not certain the radio shuts off when this happens. I am sure the tach does.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:44 PM

Kind of hard to point you in the right direction without knowing the complete symptoms. You stated that the radio cuts out and then you decided that you aren't sure about that. What about interior and exterior lighting?

You could have a problem at the bulkhead connector or it could be a problem with the FBO system. As stated, it's hard to start pointing the finger, when you have introduced an unknown.

If the ignition cuts out, it's a given that the tach will cut out. It is being driven by the ignition. We need to determine why the ignition cut out.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Inactive User

I rarely drive the car at night so I don't recall if the lights die. And it usually cuts off and then back on so fast it is almost not noticable, unless I am really into the throttle then I will get a pop through the carb.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:32 AM
Inactive User

http://www.moparaction.com/tech/archive/roadside.html
Old 07-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes2fast View Post
............ it will just shut off, as if I turned it off. Everything in the car dies, radio tach, etc..Then it will normally just start running again. .............
I just read my post. I am not certain the radio shuts off when this happens. I am sure the tach does.

If the radio shuts off it most certainly is not an ignition issue. In this case I would look for a bad connection between the battery and the ignition. I.E., bulkhead connector, ignition switch, fuse box, etc.

If it immediately starts again with no cool down then I would be looking for bad connections feeding the ignition, wiring, ballast resistor, ignition switch
Old 07-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
If the radio shuts off it most certainly is not an ignition issue. In this case I would look for a bad connection between the battery and the ignition. I.E., bulkhead connector, ignition switch, fuse box, etc.

If it immediately starts again with no cool down then I would be looking for bad connections feeding the ignition, wiring, ballast resistor, ignition switch
Thanks. I haven't been able to drive it for a few days. The wiring harness is new, but I do remember that when I replaced the wiring some connections in the bulkhead did look like they might have gotten hot at some point.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:07 AM

Just because it was new doesn't meant that it couldn't have been improperly assembled (at the connectors). Bad crimps can cause lots of havoc.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Inactive User

I'd do the bypass the bulkhead connectors trick:

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/in...?topic=34673.0
Old 08-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Inactive User

Default FBo ecu

The common failure of these units is to shut off when hot, then restart when cooled slighly. I replaced mine witha Mopar Chrome box. No problems yet.