Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Inactive User

Default Winter storage

I might have to keep my car in sort of a barn for this winter. no heating, but dry. temperatures go here in Finland way under freezing maybe -30C´ that´s what one converter said -22F´. any advice for these conditions? ps. anti-freeze/cooling liquid i know how to u
Old 08-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Inactive User

Since you have a dry barn, and understand the value of anti-freeze, you're ahead of the game already. My own procedure (Outside storage in low-humidity, low-temps) also includes an oil change and a fuel stabiliser added to a fresh and full tank of gas. I usually pull the battery, store it in an unheated shed, and periodically trickle-charge it from my old charger. There are those who suggest periodic starting but I don't agree with this, as all it does is create water vapour inside the engine, unless you drive the car long enough to come up to normal operating temps in order to get rid of the water vapour - probably 20-30 minutes in our typical winter temps. If you have a "Battery Tender" type of automatic charger/maintainer, I'd use that instead of my low-buck method. I would also use a breathable car cover even though you have the barn. It will keep dust, critters, and other stuff off the body.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Inactive User

I agreew ith the DON"T start periodically. It would not hurt a thing to put steel wool in the exhaust pipes to discurrage rodents from entering. I also like to spread drier fabric softener sheets in the car or moth balls in the car to also discurrage same little critters.
Trouble with mothballs is catching enough moths and them the micro surgery involved.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM View Post
I agreew ith the DON"T start periodically. It would not hurt a thing to put steel wool in the exhaust pipes to discurrage rodents from entering. I also like to spread drier fabric softener sheets in the car or moth balls in the car to also discurrage same little critters.
Trouble with mothballs is catching enough moths and them the micro surgery involved.
Good point about the dryer fabric/moth balls. Didn't know about that. Especially the part about collecting mothballs.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Inactive User

thanks for the good advices.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Inactive User

A good shot of WD40 in each cylinder will help displace any moisture that may get in there. I like to spay the whole outside of the engine as well. It will keep any exposed aluminum parts from oxidizing.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:33 AM

I've been using dryer sheets for years now when I store my truck and never had one mouse in it. It works. For storage I just check the antifreeze, put some fuel stabilizer in it and fill the tank full, and change the oil.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:59 AM
Inactive User

Default Winter storage

Some recomend putting car on jack stands or blocks to avoid flat spots on tires. I keep my car in my garage covered with a breathable cover, fuel stabilizer, leave battery in and trickle charge once a month.
My garage is attached so I don't put it on blocks. I figure in case of fire, I can try to get it out to a safe area.
I live in Vermont and it gets pretty cold. Garage is not heated. Usually starts easy in spring, I run it for 1-2 hours and change oil & filter and check all fluids.