Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Off-Topic Forum > Home Improvement

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:25 AM

Default I Got to Spend the Evening Changing the Locks

Someone stole my daughter's backpack while she was at the high school training for the upcoming sports season; $50 backpack, $25 pair of shorts, two cell phones (both insured, thanks wifey), a school t-shirt $20 and lastly, a set of house keys. She said nothing in the pack had our address or full name on it but the very helpful lady at AT&T said the thief could enter our home phone number into Google and get our address so...

I stopped by Lowe's after work and bought all new locks. Kwikset has a series of deadbolts with what they call a "smart key" that allows the homeowner to key all the locks alike, I bought three for about $34 each, might as well add that to the total of what this little misadventure cost us. These locks are the nicest quality and the strongest I've ever installed, not that I've done this a lot. Too bad they're made in China.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:40 PM

So the locks are in and I'm impressed. Very little slop in the mechanism and everything is heavier duty than the ones I removed. One thing I really liked was a stamped steel "cup" for lack of a better descriptor that goes in the jamb behind the strike plate. The bottom of the cup is drilled and countersunk for a long screw to secure it to the double framing typical around doors.

One thing I didn't like was the instructions. The installation is pretty intuitive, especially if you've done this type of thing before, but I always read instructions and in this case the instructions required a magnifying glass.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:06 AM
Inactive User

Yeah, Load, my deadbolts have those "cups" and I backed them up with 1/4" steel routed into the 2x4 beside the doorjamb. I think the door will go long before those three 2x4's with 6" #14 screws in them. Qwiksets locks were built in Stroud,OK before they shut down the plant and moved some of it to Mexico and more to China. Black and Decker is now their "parent" company.