Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-10-2000, 10:21 PM
Inactive User

Question

I dropped my '71 383 heads off at the machine shop (does good work but not to expensive)
I told the head guy I wanted them planed .030" and harden seats installed on the exhaust side.
He said "Whooa! You know they will just fall out!"
"WHAT??" I said
"Yeah, we can do it but the harden seat inserts eventually work their way back out. I really recommend you get a later model set of heads with factory harden seats"
I have NEVER heard of harden valve seats coming out!
Is this a problem Ford or Chevy heads have?
Have you guys ever heard of this before??
Old 02-10-2000, 10:53 PM
Inactive User

I don't know about always but it can and has happened before,they are just an insert thats pressed in to place.
Old 02-11-2000, 01:43 AM
Inactive User

Maybe the ones he installs always fall out. Sounds like it is time to shop around for another machine shop. No reason they should come out on a cast iron head. On an aluminum head it can get a little tricky since the aluminum expands much more than the steel. But Edelbrock, Indy, Mopar, etc all sell aluminum heads with hard inserted seats so it does work.
Old 02-11-2000, 03:37 AM
Inactive User

Youre right by Hensley Racing aren't you?? I'd take the heads to them and let them do the work.
Old 02-11-2000, 05:37 PM
Inactive User

Hey Doc,
Yes they sometimes fall out, but usually when you REALLY open the head up. Had them installed on MY daily driver 440 Ramcharger with 906 heads stock valves. Never had a problem raced it & used it to tow MY BABY 71 BCUDA. Like one of the previous posts mentioned try a different machine shop.. One that RACES MOPAR. Here's who I reccomend He has won the quick 16 2 or 3 times & runner up once in a door car at the MOPAR nationals.

Tom's AUTO
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/S...illracing.html

Good luck
V10

[This message has been edited by V10nacuda (edited February 11, 2000).]
Old 02-11-2000, 06:22 PM
Inactive User

Question

Yeah Chris,

Hensley Racing is THE MoPar shop around here.
They do good work but they are expensive.
I am on a tight budget so a friend recommnded this place. They have a pretty good rep for doing good work but not charging like they are the only machine shop in town.
I am going to check back with them today on the heads.
Old 02-12-2000, 08:52 AM

Do yourself a favor and call Hensley Racing(at least for a cost quote). If they other(cheaper) shop is saying that they always fall out, then they know that they are not capable of doing it right.

------------------
'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4
Old 02-14-2000, 02:53 PM
Inactive User

Red face

I did get a quote from Hensley. That is why I took them to another shop. For what they would charge me I could practically buy a set of their 'refurbed' stock heads. ($550) On my budget I can't afford that.
Old 02-14-2000, 07:09 PM
Inactive User

Dr. Righteous,

Do yourself a favor or two.

One. Search out a reputable shop that installs these hardened seats correctly so they don't fall out and

Two. Why bother with the hastle or the expense @ all?

Ask yourself - what is my application? Is this a daily driver you're going to put 15K+ miles on per year or is it a toy or race car that'll see limited mileage?

How many people do you know who have had valve seat problems because they don't have the hardened exhaust seats? I know nobody personally and only heard a story or 2 of people that have had a problem.

I have a 1964 engine w/ '69 heads without hardened valve seats. I drive it about 2K miles a year, it's a hi-reving SB w/ a 4-speed and yes I like to "get on it." I've had this engine in my car since 1983. The last thing on my mind was worrying about this -so called valve seat problem.

Unless you are going to bigger valves and you have to go to the expense anyway, then go ahead and install them if it makes you feel better.

I keep telling you guys about "The Old Marvel Mystery Oil Trick", but I guess it hasn't sunk in yet.

All you need to do to get around this - again "so called - exhaust vale seat problem" is to replace the lubricant in the gasoline the oil companies had to take out because the gov't. got their nose into the act. The mystery oil puts back in the lubricant you need to eliminate and problem.

You simply add about 4 ounces of the mystery oil to a 14-16 gallon tank of gasoline @ each fill up and forget about it. I have a bottle marked off @ 4 and 8 ounces and I just pour in 4 ozs. @ a time during fill ups.

It's that simple and that in-expensive.

Richard

[This message has been edited by Richard Reardon (edited February 14, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Richard Reardon (edited February 14, 2000).]
Old 02-14-2000, 07:38 PM
Inactive User

Question

Wow, thanks for the tip Richard.
You are right. My plans are for a mildly modified daily (or weekly) driver that will have some grunt when I stomp on it. What I wanted to avoid was adding that expensive 'lead additive' every time I needed to fill up. The Mystery Oil tip is cool. I can buy that by the gallon and save money. OK.
GREAT!
Old 02-15-2000, 07:53 PM
Inactive User

Angry

My advice would be to find a machinist that has confidence in his seats staying in.
My 516 heads suffered severe valve recession in only 15,000 miles, and I used additive.
Unless it is a trailer queen, if you have the heads off get the seats put in and save money by not buying additive at every fuel stop. In my case that was the real waste of money.

[This message has been edited by origcharger (edited February 15, 2000).]
Old 02-16-2000, 04:46 PM

If you are in an area of the country that is using MTBE in the gas, you really don't need the hardend exhaust seats. The MTBE pretty much well prevents the valve problems associated with unleaded gas.

------------------
'68 Charger 383-4
Old 02-16-2000, 07:27 PM
Inactive User

MTBE huh?
I will check on that here locally in East Tennessee
Old 02-17-2000, 10:56 AM

If MTBE is being used in TN, it is only during the winter. There are 10 required locations for this and 13 area that it is optional.

MTBE is an oxygenate for RFG fuels. Unfortunately with all of the good that it does for tailpipe emissions, it also does harm. Leaky storage tanks allow it to get into the water supply. It is foul smelling and foul tasting. Ingested, it may also cause cancer(they aren't sure yet).

It may soon be banned because of the potential health risks.

------------------
'68 Charger 383-4