Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:13 PM

Default small block tranny to big block

is there an adapter kit to put a small block 727 behind a big block?? or can i change the guts out of the small block tranny into a big block casing?? i have a new racebuilt 727 tranny but its for a small block, and i'm needing a tranny for my wedge, so i'm wondering about what i can do to put this tranny behind my wedge
Old 09-15-2009, 11:27 PM

I know they make SFI approved bellhousings. You take out the band saw and cut the bellhousing off of your trans and bolt on the SFI bellhousing of your choice using the front pump bolts.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Inactive User

Well it would probably be easier to swap the guts into the big block case, but if the race built one has a bolt in over-run clutch, then you would need to modify the big block case to accept it, but you'd probably want to do that in any case....
Old 09-16-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampage_82 View Post
Well it would probably be easier to swap the guts into the big block case, but if the race built one has a bolt in over-run clutch, then you would need to modify the big block case to accept it, but you'd probably want to do that in any case....
yeah, i've seen guys run them powerglide adapterplates before and not have too many complications, i know a pretty good tranny guy that could proably do that for me, i was just wondering about them adapter plates, and how they worked.. it's a jvx 727 with transbrake, and nice transmission.. i'd just love to get that tranny behind it, with that transbrake, and that 4500 stall, with that 502 in that a body, with 4:11 gears i bet it will be quiet an experiance on takeoff....
Old 09-16-2009, 06:30 PM

For the price of the adapter bell you can but 2 or 3 BB 727 cases.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kunkel View Post
For the price of the adapter bell you can but 2 or 3 BB 727 cases.
but what about the money spent to have a tranny man do the work?? because i'm not gonna even try to touch it, it would probably be backwards reverse would be foward, foward would be park, neutral would be reverse etc.. lol
i've got a couple big block casings, so that would be the best bet?? just take all the internals out of the small block tranny put it in the big block casing?? this thing has fluid lines outside running around like i've never seen before.. why did mopar do that make it different bolt patterns for the big block and small block tranny?? it doesn't make sense to me, i hate to say this, but at least that's something bowtie did do right is to make all trannys fit behind all engines from a 4cyl all the way up to the 500 ci caddy engine..
Old 09-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Inactive User

Fella over on the Australian Mopar Market board made an adapter. Seems to work quite well.

http://www.moparmarketforum.com/foru...p?f=15&t=16872

Of course, in the US, there's this item for $680:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/727transmission.htm

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BB_adaptor1.jpg (72.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg BB_adaptor2.jpg (82.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Inactive User

What do you mean you're not even gonna try to touch it... Hell even I can make Dodge trannies work... lol, There really isn't that much black magic to em. And for the Bowtie statement.. when they kinda standardized the motors, there were still two bolt patterns. There was the Chebby style, and there was the BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac, and Caddy) As for why Mopar changed the patterns... probably to make the little boys and their bowties cry and stay away from our Mopars... lol.. Chevy had to standardize theirs, because you have to change em out, because of broken cases, or they just stop working for no good reason. Yeah our trannies go out too, but the reason they go out is usually really easy to find...
Old 09-19-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampage_82 View Post
What do you mean you're not even gonna try to touch it... Hell even I can make Dodge trannies work... lol, There really isn't that much black magic to em. And for the Bowtie statement.. when they kinda standardized the motors, there were still two bolt patterns. There was the Chebby style, and there was the BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac, and Caddy) As for why Mopar changed the patterns... probably to make the little boys and their bowties cry and stay away from our Mopars... lol.. Chevy had to standardize theirs, because you have to change em out, because of broken cases, or they just stop working for no good reason. Yeah our trannies go out too, but the reason they go out is usually really easy to find...
yep mopar trannys are tuffer i know that from when i use to run demo derbys and i only tore up 1 727 and that's because the front pump seal blew out and i lost all my fluid, lost foward gear, tried to run the derby in reverse till it finally fried.. i put them 727s through hell, had a 64 imperial with a 318 with 456 gears went balls to the wall full throttle, slamming foward to reverse never let off the gas... had a caddy once with a turbo 400, went about 5min and couldn't move.. pos tranny... but i just wish they would've made em where they would interchange between a big and small block.. makes it harder to find a tranny man that adapter plate is expensive!!!! i was expectin em to be around 100 bucks at the most the ones to convert a powerglide to a mopar isn't but around that... seems like mopar to mopar would be cheaper... man they are smokin good stuff