Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Inactive User

Default 392 Hemis ?????

ok guys lest say i have come across one in a old barn in kentucky. i can pick it up for around 200.00-300.00 bucks. it is a 392 hemi. i was wondering of how much power any one could get out of one of these. or i any one know a link to a website could give me a ideal of how to build a 392 were it will trun on. or any info of any kind as far as strokeing and building one to make some power. thanks guys
Old 10-05-2009, 04:15 PM

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar1972 View Post
ok guys lest say i have come across one in a old barn in kentucky. i can pick it up for around 200.00-300.00 bucks. it is a 392 hemi. i was wondering of how much power any one could get out of one of these. or i any one know a link to a website could give me a ideal of how to build a 392 were it will trun on. or any info of any kind as far as strokeing and building one to make some power. thanks guys
The most powerful was 345 HP in 1958, the second and last year of the 392. There used to be tons of aftermarket performance items, since the 392 reigned as drag strip king for many years. I imagine there are still some available.

You might find this of interest:

http://www.thehemi.com/engines.php
Old 10-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Inactive User

For that price, GRAB IT! If you don't want it, I'm only a few miles from Ashland KY, and Heck, I'll come get it from you.

Hot heads can supply you with about anything you need to build the engine, and many parts are still available from even Auto Zone and Advance. Hot Heads even has the adaptors to put almost any tranny behind it that you would like. Many parts are also available on e-bay.

We have a 354 in a '56 Ford Pick up, and it just obliterates the tires from the torque, with just a mild cam and single 4 bbl and shorty headers. Runs smooth, and the old man's taken it on cruises of several hundred miles with no problems.

If I was going to build an engine for max power, I'd probably choose something else, but for ultimate WOW power, I'd use that hemi.

I know, I know, I keep using this pic, but I can't help it. I love these engines, and I should have taken more pics when I was putting it together.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Inactive User

Only drawback to these first-gen hemis is weight - somewhere around 750 lbs dressed. But if it's going into a big car, or a pick-up, that probably won't matter. (My neighbour is putting one in his 82 D-100 shortbed) BTW, that's a neat picture, buckneccid. I'll pass it on to him .
Old 10-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Inactive User

Thanks Dodger. BTW, if he's interested, those valve covers came off e-bay, for right at $200 delivered. Mexican castings, and fair warning, if he wants a set of them, be prepared to spend some time with a die grinder inside to get clearance for the rockers, mounts and mounting holes. It took me a few days before I was satisfied with the fit, and another of sanding and smoothing the outside of them to get them looking as good as they do.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Inactive User

hey thanks guys for some in put. wel it looks like there could be some power built for the 392. i have been looking at stuff from hot heads. but im still looking for info on building a stroker or what ever it could be called 392. the motor is a good buddys of mine. i just bought a near mint front 72 vlance from him with grill and good lens for 50 bucks. i have a dart he is wanting. i think i might trade him for the motor and some othere 72 b body parts.the motor has been in the barn about 22 years.think ill get it and see what i can do with it. im not into all the blower stuff. but would be cool to put a six pack on it. this would go in my 72 RR clone. im haveing a hard time finding any builds on thes motors. and i dont want a 25.00 book. still looking for a website with some info. any one know of any??? would any small block or big block mopar items work as far as in side the motor???such as pistons,rods cranks,ect thank alot