Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Off-Topic Forum > Home Improvement

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:18 AM

Default I Am a Fan of My New Bathroom Fan

My old bathroom fan started making a lot of noise, like a rumble, so I figured it was time to get a new one. My wife and I settled on one we found at Lowe's; Broan model QTR140L.

It looks very well made (in the USA), has a 100+ cfm capacity, a standard screw-in light socket and a 4 watt night light.

The installation was pretty much according to the instructions, although I had to flatten the flange that would go under the ceiling joist in a new installation and sinc I did that I drilled two more 3/16" holes for a couple round head screws to keep that side of the fan from vibrating. Six screws total hold it in, all from one side; picture a box that attaches to one joist. (The old fan, also a Broan, had two sliding L shaped legs that allowed it to be attached to both joists, really slick).

Prior to installing it I riveted a junction box to the housing over where the wires are; the space they provide inside the fan housing just looked too small for all the wires, four to the multi-switch and two plus a ground from the power source.

Once everything was hooked up I flipped the fan switch and...I couldn't hear it running so I shut it off, tried the two lights and they both worked. I went back to the attic and checked the wiring, everything was tight so I went back down and tried it again. It was running, man this thing is quiet for such a high cfm fan.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:38 PM

Biggrin

Broans are hard to beat. I have used them for years. Most models have parts available. I know I have bought plug and play motor replacements in the past. Easy repair and inexpensive.

Sometimes a noisy fan is desirable, like when you have company and you or one of your guests experiences...shall we say a highly audible elimination?
Old 02-04-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Sometimes a noisy fan is desirable...
Funny you should mention that; my daughter's room is on the other side of the wall from the bathroom and she's already registered a complaint.

I performed an autopsy of the old bathroom fan and found that the "D" hole for the fan shaft was rounded out and the spring nut that held the fan on the motor shaft was gone. I'm thinking a little bit of epoxy and I can re-use the old fan in the new downstairs bath.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Inactive User

Load' don't mention bathroom work! I've got to do a "studs-out" remodel on mine. I've got old drywall over older plaster wood lathe (with plaster between the boards), so the "removal" will be a three-alarm nightmare, pulling ten-thousand lathe nails. I may wear-out two Stanley pry-bars.... The clean-up, well, I'd rather not think about. I know why so few new construction guys want to do remodeling work. Done both, new is waaaay easier. BTW: I've got a new Broan fan/heater/light in the box to replace my old one, but installing the new one will be a chore so I think I'll wait 'til I rip-out the ceiling. Anybody that wants to help....