Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:04 PM

Default Lil' Red resurection.

Well guys, I have decided (with some thoughtful goading from the wife) to resurect my '79 Lil' Red Express. I am curious as to what performance mods you would use? Last engine I built, was before the birth of our 19 year old daughter. A 318 with an AVS, headers, and a Crane Fireball 2 cam don't make for any serious performance mods?! The truck is stock, but I would like to put some extra horses under the hood, and improve braking and handling if possible. There won't be any money for forced induction, but I still want to put the right parts inside. Let's hear your suggestions!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Inactive User

Stroker in the 360 with stock appearing bits on top. Well, maybe headers?
Old 02-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Inactive User

I had a 79 adventurer 150 stepside mild 360, always wanted to put in an overdrive transmission and fuel injection. No matter how I drove it it got 12mpg in town on highway trailer or not. Plenty of power just used alot of gas.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:07 PM

My thoughts as well fellas. A stroker (brand and stroke?), fuel injection (better mileage/cold starting-brand?), and the AOD (better milege). I thought of some stock looking wheels, but like 18" and some bigger brakes. Plus maybe rear disc brakes? I want to keep it as stock looking/sleeper as possible! Do they make tubular control arms for the trucks? I've seen them for the classic cars...... Keep them ideas/brands/experience coming!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Inactive User

Default Stock form

These trucks have fairly high collector value. The 360 powered was the fastest stock vehicle in those years.
I would go with a 360 and a stroker crank for 408 CI, and darn good performance. A mopar roller cam, Airgap intake and TTI headers should make a screamer. Check out Coys wheels for some good looking and custom offset wheels.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Inactive User

You guys are talking my language. I just bought a Li'l Red, also a 79, and am contemplating the same thing. Mine needs some body work first, as it was a driven truck in Michigan for a number of years. Keep talkin', I'm brainstormin'!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil red rick View Post
My thoughts as well fellas. A stroker (brand and stroke?), fuel injection (better mileage/cold starting-brand?), and the AOD (better milege). I thought of some stock looking wheels, but like 18" and some bigger brakes. Plus maybe rear disc brakes? I want to keep it as stock looking/sleeper as possible! Do they make tubular control arms for the trucks? I've seen them for the classic cars...... Keep them ideas/brands/experience coming!
OK, how about a Magnum 5.9/A-518 OD combo from a B-van or pickup? Add the stroker and an exhaust, find a disc-braked 9 1/4 axle from a later pick-up? Steel wheels from Wheel Vintiques - stock-appearing but any size you wish?
Old 02-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Inactive User

Those are very nice little trucks. It all depends on how deep your pockets are and how fast you need to go:-) Is gas mileage really an issue? Is it a daily driver? You can burn a fair amount of gas for an extra $1000/2000 in money that would've been spent to save gas. Fuel injection is great but it costs.

You can save money and just rebuild your 318 too. If your into cruise nights a pair of 4 barrels draws attention nicely. I run that on my little '64 318 poly. There are plenty of inexpensive go fast stuff for the 318. It just depends on your desires.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:06 PM

The 5.9 will get swapped into the Dakota (4x4) when the Express is back in top shape! I just don't know any of the brands/companies building parts these days?! I don't want to build a money pit! I can drive this truck quite a bit here, with the weather and 10 mile commute back and forth to work, plus the spring softball games; so I want a dependable, bone stock looking, hot rod that can show the import guys that V8's are still cool! I hope you guys can offer some brands for serious study. BTW-Fuel injection is not so pricey these days. The hard part is finding the best system for you and the vehicle! Thanks All!
Closed Thread