Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Inactive User

Default Prefered Mopar parts store?

I had a problem with some local parts stores getting the parts I needed at a decent price or just getting the parts at all some times. What are your preferences on which auto store is the most Mopar friendly. I have access to AutoZone, Napa, Advanced Auto, and Oriellys. I have had the best luck with price and correct products at Oriellys. I was on a search for a late 60s early 70s BB upper radiator hose. I figured it would be quick and easy instead alot of wrong hoses and parts reference. I even had guys telling me 340 hoses were the same as BB hoses.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:40 AM
Inactive User

Mancini's..... Most parts store people are idiots. They have trouble finding the right lugnuts around here.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:35 AM
Inactive User

The key is educate yourself, I usually go into the parts store and tell them what I need, part number and all, I sometimes let them screw up first, then i tell them the number, lol
Old 02-07-2010, 04:08 AM
Inactive User

I normally do that, the local napa no longer stocks valve cover gaskets for 318's so I normally have to hold their hand, afterwards, I ask for a radiator for a 73 super beatle.... If that doesnt work, anything for a 83 corvette, talk about daized and confused....
Old 02-07-2010, 05:28 AM

That's cruel, Teddy!
We've got a chain here in WV called Federated. The local counter guys are helpful and not clueless. They have them in other states, just not sure where else that may be. Parts are good quality though, they are the ones who sell the most parts to local garages around here. Luckily, I have a real good dealership locally too. H&M Motors in Weston WV, if they can't find the part, I can give them the part number and the counter guys don't have a panic attack or a lame excuse. Guys in the shop are sharp too.
I still use NAPA on occasion, they are good for odd obsolete parts the other ones can't find.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:27 AM
Inactive User

I gave up on the major chains around here. I found two repair/high performance shops that the owners race Mopars and I order all my stuff from them. I might pay alittle more but it's worth it.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Inactive User

My local Dodge dealer can still get a lot of Mopar stuff.
Parts guy is a Motor head and trys hard to find what I need.
I like it when it says Mopar on the part.
Steve
Old 02-07-2010, 11:47 AM

Wow Zach, I found that exact hose on the first try at Autozone. I even posted the information for you.

This is the same hose that is in my '69 Coronet with a 440. It's only $10
Old 02-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Inactive User

I went to find the hose you told me to and the computer didnt show a 440 hose for a 69 coronet I know they had em but it didnt show one.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Inactive User

I like NAPA myself. It's mostly the personnel that make the difference. The chain has good stock for us but so often the dingbats at the counter don't have a clue. I do have two guys that were especially savvy and they helped me alot. I also found that Campbell Enterprises (800-779-0888) is the best source for poly engine parts. They actually know all about them. I got my pistons, rings, etc., etc., through them. They are on the East coast somewhere. They know Mopar.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Inactive User

Agreed, NAPA has the best parts tit for tat. Some are the same, but always the higher grade.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:35 PM

When I'm not in a big hurry I get most everything online from RockAuto; their search engine finds the correct part from your input, shows the manufacturer's part number, dimensions, and usually has a pic of the part.

And, their prices are hard to beat.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach H View Post
I went to find the hose you told me to and the computer didnt show a 440 hose for a 69 coronet I know they had em but it didnt show one.
You could always print the page. There is enough information that they can get it, even if it doesn't show up in their computer. You can also order it online and it will be delivered to you.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:02 PM

just get a flexhose, all you need is the length, and anything the right length and the right circumference will work.. one reason why alot of these old parts are hard to find at the major chains is they may sell 1 every 6 months, so they aren't gonna stock something like that, while they can use that same spot on the shelf and put a hose that they may sell 2 in a week of... alot of guys just look at what the computer says under what you tell em, sometimes you may have to look at different years and model cars to find that part.. you could be looking for a water pump for a 69 roadrunner with a 440 engine, and it may not be listed under that one, but you may find the water pump under a 68 newport with a 383, i know it's strange but them computers are funny, i use to work at a parts store, and them chevy guys would come in i wouldn't spend much time going through the trouble of looking at it like that, but a mopar guy come in, i'd try my best to find something that would work. and it would also depend on their attitude, now i go to advance because they have that computer for the customer to use, and i'll just get on it, keep looking til i find what i need then give em the part number at the counter..
Old 02-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Inactive User

how about body parts for my 1950 Fargo FN-1 1/2 ton pickup
can't find re-production fenders anywhere
not looking for used.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:25 PM

The best bet on parts stores is to find one with a counter person who is passionate about cars. If they have a passion for it they will go the extra mile for you each and every time.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Inactive User

Each time I have been in America I have been traveling around so I am not in the same place for too long. I have given up on Autozone, they are wankers, Pep Boys if you get the right person will at least try.
Napa have always been the best, most have a working knowledge of motor cars unlike Autozone and a couple of other chain stores. I have also been able to order the part needed if not in stock to be picked up elsewhere, even interstate, the chains only interested in their own profits.
I always look for a store that caters for the trade guys, they have better stock and know how to look up a "book" if needed instead of relying on the computor.
Summit caused me the most grief and delaying my order for over 2 weeks even though the order was in stock and ready for despatch the day ordered and then charged extra freight, so I will never use them again.
Bob Mazzolini in Riverside California was very good also and I will use him again even from here in Australia.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:30 PM

Not the NAPA near me. I wanted to change the heat range of the plugs on my '96 Ram. I told them the brand and pat number. They refused to sell them that way. They insisted that they had to go by what the book told them. After 10 minutes of trying to convince him, I drove across the street to Autozone and they sold me the plugs that I wanted.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Inactive User

I like the local Autozone here, If they don't have it in stock they will have it there the next day. I think it all depends on the people behind the counter.
Plus I learned to lie about the application,new counter people get confused looking up part numbers for a '73 Cuda with a 440.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Inactive User

Yeah, when I ordered my alternator I told them to look under '85 5th Ave.. Then I got what I wanted :-)
Old 02-12-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVMopar View Post
The best bet on parts stores is to find one with a counter person who is passionate about cars. If they have a passion for it they will go the extra mile for you each and every time.

I worked at the parts counter through college and always went the extra mile. I still do. Working at a gm dealer ship they don't want to look up anything that isn't new and gm. I'm the HD and bus guy so when it comes to finding parts for buses they are actually rude about looking up the parts. I go get on the internet get the coach makers number and call them get the PN then had them my paperwork and say here is the part number, where to get it, now get it ordered.

It's a fight like this everytime I work on a bus, frito lay truck, etc. Even when they are a GM chassi they don't wanna look up parts.

Personally I like my local Napa, BUT only certain people there. I know to steer clear of all but 2 of them. And more than one time I've been there looking for something and someone else is there and they can't find the part they need. So I speak up. Like a guy looking for a trans kit for his '67 Newport 727. They had the filter but no gasket. So I asked if they had a filter kit for a '96 Ram. They did, so I told them to rob the gasket out of that and just order the gasket. Problem solved. People thank me all the time there.

Once you find a good parts person you'll never go to anyone else. No matter who the company is.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:38 PM

yeah autozone sucks, and when you call em, they always put you on hold, i worked there for about 3 weeks and got fed up with how they treated their customers, i'd try to help customers on the phone, and the manager would get on to me, and tell me not to worry about the customers on the phone... i worked at advance for a long time and worked at oreilly for a while, they both have good parts, don't buy anything with duralast on it, and the reman starters and altenators from autozone all they do is take it and replace what's broke with it, they don't rebuild the whole thing, advance has best starters and altenators, i loved working there, and the customers especially the hotrod and classic car guys loved me, because i'd take the time to get em what they wanted, and some of em had really nice cars, one had a 69 superbee, another had a 68 coronet, 69 roadrunner, 70 hemi cuda, and when theyd come in looking for suspension parts, and i'd ask em what size motor? or they'd need spark plugs for it, and i ask what color it was, they'd look at me like i was dumb thinkin i was some kid that didn't know nothin about cars, and they'd be like whats that got to do with what i need?? i'd be like oh, i like old mopars.... it was awesome
Old 02-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Inactive User

I like RockAuto too but what I don't like about them is their shipping prices and a lot of the times you are paying two different shipping charges because the parts are drop shipped somewhere else. Usually I will use Ebay or a local chain even though most of the parts are special order.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleone1983 View Post
I like RockAuto too but what I don't like about them is their shipping prices and a lot of the times you are paying two different shipping charges because the parts are drop shipped somewhere else. Usually I will use Ebay or a local chain even though most of the parts are special order.
and by time you order it online or over the phone, order it through the chain store, and you don't have to pay shipping, and usually gets to the parts store quicker that if you ordered it online, plus you don't have to worry about your package sitting outside your house when the ups man drops it off, while you're at work...