Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:50 AM
Inactive User

Default Fresh 318 has noisy lifters

OK guys. I just finished a rebuild on a 83 318. Vatted the block, polished the crank, installed new main bearings, rod bearings, oil pump, rings, timing chain set, cam bearings, cam, lifters and a fresh valve job. Every internal part was cleaned before going back together. It started right up, but after about 15 mins of running it at 1500 RPM's I idled it back down and the lifters are very noisy.(they were at 1500 also) I put 2 plugs in the block right behind the cam lock plate, which appear to be about .200 deep and the whole in the block was about .300 deep. My partner tore it down, so I am not sure if they were there before or not. He's gone on vacation and I can't reach him. Got any ideas? I am concerned about startign it up again. Should it take that long for new lifters to pump up? I don't think so. Are the plugs necessary or are they an option? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Inactive User

From Mopar Action

Tech Question
Joe Krizek, North Pole AK , 75 Dodge Power Wagon 318

I rebuilt my 318 in my four wheel drive truck. The block was hot tanked and bored 0.030" over, the crank was ground 0.010" under, and two rods were reconditioned. The Heads were casting #302 1985 swirlport closed chambered with new valve guides and hardened exhaust valve seats. The pistons are cast stock compression ratio with moly rings. I used a Comp Cam XE250 kit. My question is about the lifters. When I start the truck in the morning the lifters clatter. Also when is is up to operating temperature there still seems to be one lifter faintly clicking. Competitiom Cams said they make the same lifters for all flat Hyd cam mopars. The Comp Cam Lifters have a hole in the cup to oil the rocker assembly through the push rods. The olds lifters did not. Do I need new lifters?

Probably not. What you need to do is be sure that the lifters are operating within their design range. With any cam lobe on the base circle, the plunger should be depressed at least 0.030" but not more than 0.100". I'd be sure to check this on the one that's noisy all the time. If not within this range, you need custom length pushrods.

You shoud also be sure there's ample oil pressure.

Rick
Old 02-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Inactive User

is it a small base circle cam, then you will need longer pushrods, if not, is it getting oil up top at all?
were you breaking in the cam at 1500, I run 2500 to break in the cam, the only lube the cam gets is from what flies off the crank.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:02 AM

How was the oil pressure?? You put the galley plug for the left bank oil galley? It's in the back and visable through the dist. hole.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:40 PM

did you prime the lifters before installing?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Inactive User

Np I did not. I normally don't when building SBC and this is only my second Dodge build. If that's the problem, do you think they will build up and how long? Or should I remove them and pump em up.
Thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Inactive User

Yes JV it has all the galley plugs in and I did see that one for sure. The way I read the oil flow chart it should be oiling the right side before the left, yet both are not pumping up. It may be that I did n't prime the lifters.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:56 AM
Inactive User

I have never primed them either, but I had a cam once that was small base circle that did the same thing, I would find out what you have.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Inactive User

Undo the filler cap and have a look inside and see if there is any oil in the rocker cover, if it is dry then you know that there is an oiling issue.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Inactive User

OK, we found the issue. It seems my brother put the rocker assemblies to gether and got the spacers in the wrong place. Also 1 rocker was rubbing another one. I simply took the rockers all off and realigned it all and it purrs like a kitty now.
Thanks for all the thoughts
Old 02-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Inactive User

hahaha that's awsome, I bet that isn't the first time that's happened. Funny story, my brother was doing some charity work on a Ford van for some very poor people, who had blown their small block. Anyhow he got another motor, and put the valve covers from their motor onto a junkyard motor, fired it up and heard a knocking noise, so he pulled it out, couldn't find anything wrong with the motor, but he went ahead and rebuilt it (out of pocket), turned the crank, new pistons, bored, rings, bearings etc... Put it back in the van, sure enough knocking again.... This time he investigated it, and he found the problem... a rocker was hitting the valve cover off the other motor... Man was he livid, but he took a hammer to the baffles, fired it up, purred like a kitten... Those people went on their merry way, with a brand new engine, plus the labor of three engine pulls, and the only paid $250 for the junkyard engine... Man the lessons you learn...
Old 02-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Inactive User

By the way there are left and right offset rockers and the notches on the ends of the rocker shaft have to be down and forward on the left side of the engine and down to the rear on the right side or you will not get oil to the rockers.