Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Inactive User

Default exhaust leaks

I have some 302 heads on the 318 with hooker headers. I sealed the air injection holes with 1/4" pipe plugs and used the stock shiny exhaust gaskets, and I have some crazy exhaust leaks. I had a real hard time getting to the back two holes on the drivers side, just could not get them tight enough, and had forgotten to seal the end holes too. Sizzle! So, I got some high temp sealant and a few different types of header bolts I'm gonna try, and some mr. gasket header gaskets. My question is, if the leak is coming from the air injection ports around the pipe plugs, can I pack them with JBWeld to seal them good? Will JBWeld take the high temps or blow out?
Old 03-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Inactive User

I used pipe plugs in the past with no problems at all. I really hate the Mr Gasket stuff personally but haven't tried the header gaskets. Everything I ever used by Mr Gasket went awry. Warped T-stat housing, cheap/crappy carb linkage.

I have heard that you can double up your header gaskets to seal leaks. Thgis goes against my gut feeling that they will blow out BUT I'm assured it works. The headers may be warped and the double gaskets help fill the gaps.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Inactive User

Default exhaust leak

I would suggest using a stethoscope to listen for the leak(s). This can really pinpoint the spot. I don't think sealant, unless it's the muffler bandage type stuff, will hold up at exhaust temp. If the leak is at the header to head, sealant definitely won't do it. I haven't had any luck with JB Weld at exhaust temp either. I agree that the pipe plug should seal the air hole. It sounds more like the header didn't get properly torqued. I like the FelPro gaskets.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Inactive User

I've used the 1/4" plugs on mine, and haven't had any issue with them. Header gaskets are another story. Have tried stock, and now soft copper. Last time the heads were off, the driver's side farted, now the pass. side does it!. Haven't tried the double-gasket thing for the same reason Mr. Kinsley states. Let us know if you find a cure!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:45 PM

Is the pipe plug flush? Itll hang up the header if its not below the gasket plane. If your going to attemp the JB weld, roll it into a ball and stuff it behind the existing pipe plug. I actually stuck a nail in there backwards, used the head as a dam and stick welded mine closed then cut off nail and ground it flat, you cant even tell its there. What did you guys use to tap the AIR holes? My HSS carbon taps just hung up in there, no way I was tapping those holes, hence the 30 second arc weld. Hookers have that useless O-ring seal. Check if it is even the same shape as the port. Oh yes, soak fiber gaskets in water and install wet, theyll expand or MLS gaskets
Old 03-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Inactive User

Default gaskets

if you need gaskets we're the one to talk to we have a whole supply and then some just sitting around in shop feel free to call us or email us at mobile to mobile is better
AT&T : (775) 253 - 0249 CHARLIE

SPRINT : (408) 569 - 3070 CHARLIE

VERIZON : (916) 698 - 5362 CHARLIE

T-MOBILE : (916) 698 - 3744 TIFFANY
Old 03-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Inactive User

Don't use any silcone sealant it will just create a huge mess and will not withstand the hi-temps. Napa used to have a good header gasket made of hi temp fiber and a shiny silver material for coating, but proper torque on the bolts is a must to get them to seal with any type gasket.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Inactive User

those gaskets that napa gets are from Victor and we get them too and for a much better price and we can get just about every gasket Victor has.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Inactive User

I think Fel-pro gaskets are the way to go!
you should make sure your header flange is flat and smooth.
ARP makes header bolts that are a tad longer for a better grip in the head.
http://www.arp-bolts.com/Catalog/Catalog.html